Anyone else collect and/or listen to vinyl records?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

36 Fresh Ropp Pipes
4 Fresh Scott Thile Pipes
6 Fresh Castello Pipes
12 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes
36 Fresh Nørding Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deithial

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2012
I am also a vinyl nut. Not much in the way of collecting mainly do to $$. Funny thing is my music tastes are all over the place. But, my heart will aways be for Metal, so that most of my vinyl.
Last 3 purchases:

Pantera Vulgar Display of power 180gram

Pantera Reinventing the Steel 180gram

White Zombie La Sexorcisto 180gram colored

johncorosz

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
I have thousands of them. I was a techno music DJ from 1989 - 2001. My collection fills an entire basement. Sadly now everyone can buy many of these songs in MP3 form and there are ways you can DJ the MP3's with any kind of controller including those that mimic turntables.
Oh you mean Jazz records? What for? The digital versions have better sound quality.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Great stuff. I listen to everything I collect. I am thinking of starting a thread titled What vinyl Are You Listening To Today?

johncorosz

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
Really? Warm sound? We call it "the analogue sound"...but sadly most old jazz on vinyl from the 1920's - 1960's just sounds tinny and dry compared to the enriched sounds created by studio compression and enriching. But it's cool to make the analogy. I also like Big Band music but on vinyl it is not better. Unless you seriously dig that scratchy old time sound where the music sounds like it is coming from a coffee can held over a speaker.
If we were talking Herbie Hancock and 1970-2000's jazz and alike than I agree that vinyl gives you a more subtle "warm" sound". In fact most music that was produced in the 1970's-1980's will sound great on vinyl as the vinyl not only keeps the bass notes held longer but it maintains the length of the notes without the chopping that digital creates in editing the sound bits in in .WAV format.
You can find many songs in FLAC file format on the vast torrent site sand I recommend those to many friends who are serious audiophiles. All anyone asks in return is that you seed kindly to be sure others can enjoy what you just found.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I love pops and cracks. My newer 180 gram vinyl sounds better than any mp3 I have. I also have my turntable hooked up to bose speakers. That helps. The artwork is larger also and that is a plus for me. It is more of a personal preference. Not a quality based decision.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
I actually just got my first vinyl record player for christmas. I am a HUGE music fan so it has been awesome to buy some records. I wish I would have started collecting them earlier in life but Im glad I found it now! I only have about 6 albums at the moment but Im sure I will get plenty more. It's much better and more relaxing than an IPOD! And I feel like a true music fan haha!

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
If you check out guitarcenter.com they have a lot of them used most of the time. I really want the rega rp1 but I did acquire a Stanton T92 usb dj turntable recently for a steal. It isn't the best turntable but it kills my old one.

May 31, 2012
animaatjes-zombie-3654987.gif

.......................I guess I'm just hopelessly necromantic.
:P
http://www.wikihow.com/Date-a-Hopelessly-Romantic-Person-When-You-Are-Not-Hopelessly-Romantic
zombi_grave2.gif

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
...I guess I'm just hopelessly necromantic.
LOL ... well that's reason enough for me! :mrgreen:
I have a stack of vinyl but haven't had a decent turntable for many years ... should remedy that!

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
Dear Photoman, a little late to this thread, but you go right on listening to your LP's. I am an electronic engineer who designs and builds much of my own gear and have spent many years pushing the cutting edge. Without getting too deep into this, I will tell you a few things:

1). There is always a loss with digital. The best digital can hope for, is to equal, not surpass analog.

2). LP's got a bad rap years ago because it is extremely complex and difficult to reproduce analog properly, and all most people ever heard of their records is played on some crap turntable with a crap stylus through a crap photo preamp--- you get the idea.

3). Converting records to digital ala PC or some other means for convenience--- unless you are using a pro ADC with 24-bit resolution and meticulous techniques, you might as well throw the records away. That record is as close as you will ever get to the original live recording. Playback deficiencies are not often the record's fault but the playback equipment.

4). Lastly: the High-End is an uber rip off. You don't need to spend a zillion dollars to get good sound. I have about $8k in my main system and to reproduce it commercially, I am probably using what would sell in a store for about $220k. But then, I am putting out about 3000 watts with essentially flat response down to below 15 cycles. But that is what it takes to reproduce live music realistically--- and that IS THE GOAL: to come as close as you can to the experience of live music. The best digital is very good, but after a time when you go back to analog, you can hear another layer of veiling removed.
If anyone still reads this thread and wants to know more or has any questions, I would be happy to try to explain whatever I can across the internet.
WayneG

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
First time on this forum in some time. My collection has grown quite a bit but I don't have that kind of knowledge yet. Pretty fascinating.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
That record is as close as you will ever get to the original live recording. Playback deficiencies are not often the record's fault but the playback equipment.

71/2 ips Reel to reel's disagree. The equipment and media, though, are more challenging and fragile.
Lastly: the High-End is an uber rip off. You don't need to spend a zillion dollars to get good sound. I have about $8k in my main system and to reproduce it commercially, I am probably using what would sell in a store for about $220k. But then, I am putting out about 3000 watts with essentially flat response down to below 15 cycles.

I think most folks are looking for something that gets out of the way in general while enhancing the aspect's of music they care for rather than a flat frequency response across the band. In that respect, high end (which isn't necessarily the domain of Mammon) get's folks what they want with convenience. I disagree that this is always a ripoff.
Recording booth? That's another story with a different cast of characters (replace consumer high end with industrial standards)...or so I assume?

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
As to Reel-To-Reel, yes, if I were making the tape myself, I would agree. I have a portable studio deck that will go 15 ips. Very, very high recording quality. It also uses tubes. But then there is tape hiss, and you either live with that or dbx compand that down. ITMT, commercially, reel to reel was a flop, sales were the lowest of any format including 8-track, cassette, LP, etc.; go out and try to find commercial RTR recordings! Look for a person with a large collection. I have a few old commercial RTR tapes and they were not that good. They were mass-produced at a high speed to lower cost and I have never found one of them that came close to what the LP can do, but since most people have never heard what the LP really has on it, it is hard for them to understand. Plus, tape stretches, breaks, and the binder goes bad and flakes, then you have drop-out. I have LP's going back to the 1960's that look, sound and play like brand new.
Also, there are the higher-quality LP's--- some are half-speed mastered and the better of these are phenomenal. 180 gram pressings. I have LP's that are cut so deep, so dynamic, they are recorded on one side only. Others are recorded at 45 RPM instead of 33.3. They are out there.
Then there are other technologies: non-magnetic pickups eliminating hysteresis, phono-preamps that do not need RIAA equalization, tonearms that can track at a fraction of a gram, class-A circuit design. While tape recording comes earlier in the process, as a PRODUCT, the LP on average is far more available, accessible and potentially better and more durable than magnetic tape.
If you want your gear to get out of the way, some tips: Avoid the multi-channel home theater stuff. What? Yes, that is all they are selling / pushing these days. The original live performance didn't have it, they only had a L and a R channel. Old tube gear from the 60's and the 70's. Tubes are far superior above 120-150 cycles. Keep the transistors for the deep bass. Caveat: tube gear is higher operating cost and maintenance--- better start learning some basic electronics to maintain it.
Specs don't mean much. I've heard phenomenal sound very lifelike with 10% harmonic distortion. Great sound doesn't come easy, it isn't convenient. Today's consumer isn't getting music, they are getting a little box, portability, instant access and fair sound. Reproducing lifelike sound in the home is a major commitment, it all depends on how much that music means to you. My guess is that a lot of people are losing interest in music--- digital fatigue, aging record collections, uninspiring gear, lack of good bands with new sounds like in the 60's and '70's--- but if you heard an LP properly reproduced, you would love it!
As to the high-end: $8000 speaker cables, doodads, special clamps, weights, shelving, $150 power outlets and power cords--- the pro sound industry uses none of this stuff and the sound you are trying to recapture is theirs. Save your money and invest it in hardware that actually gives you a meaningful improvement. One thing I've found in the high end that works (because it was developed by NASA) are those sorbothane pucks for sound isolation. Good for under the turntable to prevent feedback.
Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.