Anyone Able to Identify this Mystery Pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cynicismandsugar

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
The boys at my local tobacconist had a couple of estates ready to entice my wife and me. One of their offerings was a bit of a mystery, with their research showing that this pipe might possibly be a precursor to Dr. Grabow.
However, I've had little luck in verifying that information, so I thought it best to inquire from the collection of knowledgeable members here on the forum.
Does anyone happen to have any informtion regarding this pipe? The dot on the stem is a light blue color, with a silver colored ring encircling it; besides that, there seems to be no indetifying markings on the brair.
unknown01.jpg_zpsjykirx8m.jpg

unknown2.jpg_zpsqzxjbift.jpg

Thank you in advance to anyone that could provide any addition insight!

travelergypsy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2016
I can't provide any insight, but I can tell you that I absolutely love that pipe!

If I saw one like that, online or at a B&M, and I could lie, cheat, or steal for the price, I would buy it in a heartbeat. (I have a thing for full bent, though I have yet to get one.)

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Does it have a stinger? The precursor to Dr Grabow was a Linkman and the were marked and had patent numbers

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
It is— or is almost!—a Hungarian shape.
And could it have a replacement stem? It appears to be rather less used than the stummel.

cynicismandsugar

Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
I can't provide any insight, but I can tell you that I absolutely love that pipe!

If I saw one like that, online or at a B&M, and I could lie, cheat, or steal for the price, I would buy it in a heartbeat. (I have a thing for full bent, though I have yet to get one.)
It's a neat pipe. I haven't had a chance to smoke it yet, but the dry draw has that 'grandfather' aroma to it. The boys at the shop want me to stop back in and let them know how it smoked, because they believe it's 70 years old.
My wife loved it (she has a thing for character) and, since it was reasonably priced) bought it. She's fun like that.
Does it have a stinger? The precursor to Dr Grabow was a Linkman and the were marked and had patent numbers
Nope, no stinger. I was a bit doubtful about the Dr. Grabow theory, because the pipe has zero hallmarks, numbers, anything.
It is— or is almost!—a Hungarian shape.
And could it have a replacement stem? It appears to be rather less used than the stummel.
Possibly. It's difficult to be sure, because their restoration man is great. He has polished some older estates I've sent to him back to almost new (while preserving lettering, etc)... but, then again, there appears to be zero teeth chatter on the stem, so it's not unlikely that it's a replacement.
It's fun trying to piece all the details together.

travelergypsy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2016
there seems to be no indetifying markings on the brair.
I did a bit of research, and the only blue dot that I can find that even remotely comes close to that is the Sasieni blue dot.

My understanding is that Sasieni started the blue dot stamp when they were first released in the US, in the 20s. However, they do not have a silver ring around the dot.

There are a couple stamps here that look similar, but again, no silver ring. And my understanding is that the Sasieni's had stingers.
The other thing is that if the stem is not original, then there is even less identifiers for the pipe itself.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Italy Ardor Dr Urano
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Italy-ARDOR-DR-URANO-Mens-Estate-Pipe-Sterling-Silver-Ring-Blue-Dot-Vtg-Old-NR-/131421942532?nma=true&si=1gwIVHvRc4O1P4V%252B1qdyj%252BvUdn4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
Dot looks similar.

cynicismandsugar

Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
I did a bit of research, and the only blue dot that I can find that even remotely comes close to that is the Sasieni blue dot.
I noticed that too, early in my research; however I agree with you that it must be unlikely, because there was no stinger (or place for one).
Italy Ardor Dr Urano.
The dot does look very similar. Another 'maybe' to add to the pile.
Is the dot robins egg blue, as it appears to be so?
Yes! That actually is the best description I've heard: Robins' Egg Blue!
I think it could be a Linkman's too.

The stem sure looks out of place.

pipephile
After reviewing several pipes and links, I'm also leaning towards a Linkman.
That does look like an Ardor stem. Could have been a replacement stem? Cool pipe!
It may be. If it is, then I'm going to say that, yes, the stem is most likely a replacement, because I've never seen an Ardor like this.
Thank you again for everyone that took the time to help! The pipe may just be labeled my Mystery Pipe, and thown up on the rack.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Linkmans did make a pipe in that shape,shows as a shape 89 in the 1937 catalog shape charts. They also used a stem inlay like that on the "Courtliegh" line and maybe others. It is not unusual to find an unstamped Grabow product although it is less likely to see an unstamped Linkmans than the later made HLT and Sparta Pipes made pipes.
I have two Linkmans in that shape,a "Select Grain" and a "50 Grand".

cynicismandsugar

Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
Ejames, thank you! I was able to look up even more reference material (thanks to you pointing me in the right direction)! You're obviously correct on all accounts -- right down to the shape number!
The case file of the mystery pipe has been closed. ... Now to light it up, and take it for smoke.
linkman1a.jpg

LINKMAN'S COURTLEIGH c1937-45(ish)
The M. Linkman and Co. was established by Louis B. Linkman and August Fisher in 1898. The company closed down in the 1950s and the Dr Grabow branch was sold to Henry Leonard and Thomas Inc.
Courtleigh begins with 91 Series 82 = “The Antique Courtleigh” with an Antique Grain Finish c1937. (Not really a Dr. Grabow) Series 91 = Natural Select Grain Finish, c1937.
Thank you again to everyone that helped crack the case. I knew I came to the right group of pipe fans!

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Sasieni introduced ther Pipes to the US market in the 20's with a single white dot, patent laws made em change and they went to a blue dot but that wasn't enuff to satisfy the law suits so very few were ever produced/sold, not sure if it had the ring around it though.
Id look up early Sasieni info and see if that pans out, good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.