PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
How old is it? I was under the impression that John Cotton's blends haven't been around for ten years, at least.

May 31, 2012
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEpcpAUu794

:

:

Hi Arno,
Not much info out there about the Latakia, mostly it's all about the famous #1&2, as you probably know.
This is where first-hand oldtimer accounts are invaluable and could tell us much more.
Gallaher acquired JC in 1962, I would suspect that perhaps it's the same Latakia that Gallaher's used, they also marketed a straight Lat under their own name, and it might even be the very same Lat that went into Gallaher-era Balkan Sobranie?
I like this post, he's a proper gent, I noticed he also comments on your blog, his writing is well-wrought and always brings a wry smile!

http://atthebackofthehill.blogspot.com/2008/08/john-cotton-fine-old-reek.html

FINE OLD REEK !
Here's a random quote from A.S.P.:

"John Cotton had the reputation of being the oldest extent tobacco house until its demise sometime in the early 80's. Along with the original

Rattray's, it was one of the classic Scottish tobacco companies and produced some exquisite blends. Compton Mackenzie, novelist, founder of Gramaphone magazine, and author of "Sublime Tobacco" smoked Cotton's #2 blend for years.
You two may want to give Gawith's Commonwealth Mixture a try, if you haven't already. It's not a dead-ringer for the old John Cotton's

mixture, but the toasty quality of the virginia/latakia combination is very similar, to my taste buds at least. It's the ONLY mixture I found that even begins to resemble the old JC No. 1 & 2."
Sorry I could not help you more.
And here's a few miscellaneous JC images:

oXNqn1J.jpg

nFKNjlu.jpg

2qpisxK.jpg

T6BKap2.jpg

fQaxZad.jpg

QdJj0hZ.jpg

yx0VgzX.jpg

u5p0UbE.jpg

zheiihA.jpg

:

:

Here you can see the famous Princes St. address and just barely make out the John Cotton's signage:

CYjtQwH.jpg

...it was this location that Chief Catoonah named their well-loved blend after:

http://www.chiefcatoonah.com/ccm-2012.html

:

Dutch Pipe Smoker

(arno665)
Apr 3, 2013
The Netherlands
dutchpipesmoker.com
Hi Arno,
Not much info out there about the Latakia, mostly it's all about the famous #1&2, as you probably know.
This is where first-hand oldtimer accounts are invaluable and could tell us much more.
Gallaher acquired JC in 1962, I would suspect that perhaps it's the same Latakia that Gallaher's used, they also marketed a straight Lat under their own name, and it might even be the very same Lat that went into Gallaher-era Balkan Sobranie?
I like this post, he's a proper gent, I noticed he also comments on your blog, his writing is well-wrought and always brings a wry smile!

http://atthebackofthehill.blogspot.com/2008/08/john-cotton-fine-old-reek.html

FINE OLD REEK !
Thanks for he info Troy! I also saw that YouTube video which makes me believe it was not a straight latakia. I see too much lighter tobaccos plus that when smoking I did not think it was all latakia. It has a lot of it, yes, but straight, no, I personally don't think so.
Ah, you stumbled upon atboth, the demented Dutchman who now lives in San Francisco :) He is wonderful with an unique style of writing (look up his reviews of Clan), I also learned a lot from him.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
arno:
the latakia was a gallaher addition to the john cotton line, and i believe a product of the 1980s. your tin's about 25-30 years old. if it has the kingsway address on the side it's at the younger end of the range; if it doesn't it's on the older end.
the jc latakia was to say the least not a world-beater in terms of sales. the data i've seen suggests that both the mild and the medium (i.e. the 1 and the 1&2) each outsold it by a factor of perhaps twelve to one during the relatively brief time all three blends were in production.
finally, let me add my two cents regarding the backofthehill blog; it's terrific, and a must read for anyone interested in the great english tobaccos of the past.
jon

Dutch Pipe Smoker

(arno665)
Apr 3, 2013
The Netherlands
dutchpipesmoker.com
Thanks for the info Jon, I appreciate it! I am glad I guessed the age of the tin pretty correct (also thought it was from the 80's), also because of the estimated sign (e-mark). I do not own a tin of JC's Latakia, but a friend does, and he generously gave me a sample.

Status
Not open for further replies.