PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mephistopheles

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 14, 2014
Hi all, I'm wondering if anyone is from South Carolina? My family is in the process of moving there and I have no idea what to expect. It's not so much that I'm stressed about the move, instead I'm just uncertain of what my experience will be like there. This will be our first time living outside of Michigan. It's a total transfer and we're just kind of jumping in head first.
Some random questions that come to mind:

1. What is the tobacco buying situation there? Is there a tax for online sales, negative legislation, etc.

2. Are there any pipe clubs, shops, anything like that?

3. Can people smoke in public? If so, can they do this without being crucified?

4. What is the culture like?

5. What is the cost of living like?

6. Anything a Northerner should know so they can blend in and assimilate easier?
Anything you want to share would be great. Pictures of the area would be great as well. All I really know is that it's like flaming hot there all the time, any snow at all makes everything shut down, and that the area is supportive of industry. Somebody also told me that the wildlife (bugs and snakes) is like crazy Amazonian type stuff as well. I really appreciate any details.
Thanks,

Meph

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
More alarming than poisonous snakes (at least for my Yankee wife) is the number of random strangers who will just up and talk to you -- for no reason at all! In most cases, such people are not trying to pick you up or pick your pocket, nor are the recent escapees from the local lunatic asylum. Stay calm, act normal and everything will be alright. Pretty soon, you'll start doing it yourself.
Also, if you're driving down the road and see someone outside, they will wave.

mephistopheles

Oct 14, 2014
Hi Pitchfork, I believe it's the Greenville area. It's nice to hear that people are friendly.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Well, that's upland South, so it's a little different from the "low country" around Charleston. More NASCAR than Gone With the Wind. People are generally very friendly, down-to-earth, neighborly, etc. The Michiganders I know can be that way, too, just not quite as forward and outgoing with strangers. I'm sure you'll get on just fine.
I haven't lived in the south for a long time, but people in the Carolinas and Virginia, at least, are pretty tolerant of tobacco. A good many people make, or did make, a living from it, so that probably factors into the equation.
Cost of living is similar to the midwest.
And yes, it's hot as hell in the summer. And humid.
Overall, life in much of the south seems to move at a slower pace. Not so much in Charlotte, Raleigh or Atlanta, but in the smaller towns and rural areas you'll notice a difference, I think.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I live in Sumter County SC. Moved here from my home in Baltimore Md where I was born and raised. To be honest, I wouldn't move back to Baltimore even though my family lives there. The weather is hot and humid but the winters aren't too bad. My sons live in Greenville and love it. Boda Pipes is located in Greenville and they have an outstanding selection of pipes and tobacco. Taxes aren't bad at all. SmokingPipes is located in Horry County near Myrtle Beach but if you order from them you'll have to pay in state taxes which aren't back at all. When I order from SmokingPipes, say a pound of bulk, I only pay alittle over $2.00 in taxes. Cost of living differs according to where you live. In Greenville the cost of living is more then where I live. Can't advise you about Pipe Clubs although Boda Pipes in Greenville has one. South Carolina is a tobacco friendly state, so you can smoke in public although smoking inside malls and some parks is restricted. Some of the small towns remind me of Mayberry from the Andy Griffith Show. After about 6 months you'll be like me and won't want to return to where you were living. The gnats, mosquitoes & bees are a pain but not all that bad. So far as snakes, I've seen maybe 5 since I moved here 30 yrs ago. Don't sweat it, you'll fit in just fine.

mephistopheles

Oct 14, 2014
Thanks for your response, Ray. I've never purchased from SmokingPipes before. I'll have to look into them. Boda Pipes also sounds interesting. Maybe I'll stop there once I get settled. Here in Michigan it's been very hard to find a local pipe shop. The closest one is in Grand Rapids and that's well out of the way.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
As a South Carolina native, I can offer a tip or two on how to get along. The number one action to avoid is to talk about how "we did it different and better up north." Perhaps unspoken but sometimes said aloud, the natives wonder if you liked it so much, why don't you move back.
Also, be respectful of their heritage. Southerners are proud and don't take kindly to presumptive aspersions on their history, food or flags. Some northers would have us believe that ugly racism is restricted to the south when the ovrall record for the north is poorer on integration.
Enjoy the food. Bar-B-Que is unique and delicious and the seafood in Charleston and Myrtle Beach can be devine. Hunting and fishing is as good as anywhere in the country. I'm not sure of the limits but last I checked, deer limits were 1 a DAY!
And I'm predjudiced but South Carolina has some of the most beautiful women in the world. (Also, unfortunately, some of the most obese)

juanruiz

Lurker
Aug 19, 2015
Having moved from the North Central US to VA, I can say that southern hospitality and courtesy are not a myth; it's always "sir" and "ma'am." There is no one Southern accent, although they may sound the same at first. Don't expect the same foods you had in the north; I can't find a decent bratwurst anywhere. Good luck with your move.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
How did I forget BBQ? Of course they do it wrong in SC (mustard in the sauce), but the NC state line isn't far away. BBQ isn't a sauce, or a verb -- it's pork shoulder slow roasted for many hours over hardwood coals. The taste is out of this world, and the sauce (where it's done right) is made of little more than vinegar and spices (maybe a touch of tomato, but that's debatable).
In all seriousness, BBQ from the Carolinas is one of America's oldest and most unique foods. Even with the heretical mustard sauce, it's wonderful stuff.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
As a South Carolina native, I can offer a tip or two on how to get along. The number one action to avoid is to talk about how "we did it different and better up north."
I was going to joke and say "First order of business is to write to the local paper about some issue and tell the locals how much better they handle things in the (northern) state of _______."
It's almost comical, but you'd be amazed at how frequently recent transplants do exactly that.

juanruiz

Lurker
Aug 19, 2015
"You need to head further south and have some Andouille or Boudin. Way better than brats."
Would I have to speak Cajun?

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Arguing about BBQ can be as divisive as politics or religion. But it is a historical fact that North Carolina stole the Vinegar based BBQ sauce recipe from SC.
Actually, South Carolina BBQ sauce comes in three styles, each originating in different regions of the state - the coastal lowlands, the sand hills or the Piedmont/mountain region. The other two blends are ketchup based and mustard based. I'm a vinegar based man myself but I do add some ketchup for color and softening in my recipe.
SC hunters also invented the corn bread hush puppy. In antebellum days, it was common for communities to gather together for deer drives, using dogs to chase the deer to the hunters. An outdoor feast would follow featuring roasted venison and fresh farm produce. The famished hunting dogs, usually beagles or setters, would create a racket as they bayed for food. The cooks would drop globs of corn bread dough into the cast iron kettles full of melted grease, let them cook for a minute or two, pull them out, then toss them to the dogs to hush the puppies.
Ohh, and we had the first municipal college, first public library, and first regularly scheduled railroad. We also had the first slave revolt.

mephistopheles

Oct 14, 2014
It's almost comical, but you'd be amazed at how frequently recent transplants do exactly that.
We're not the type of family that would ever do that, but I can imagine that it certainly is something to be aware of for when friends/relatives come to visit. We're private people and have always been told that we have manners, respect, and class.
Also, be respectful of their heritage. Southerners are proud and don't take kindly to presumptive aspersions on their history, food or flags.
No issues there either. My brother and I are fairly well-versed in Southern history. In high school I actually purchased alternative history (often politically incorrect - which is great) textbooks just so I could gain a more well-rounded (and truthful) understanding of our country. Even as busy college students we still do research on Southern history. As a family we support states' rights and the live & let live attitude. We will definitely be flying flags in our front yard in support of our new home.
Some Northerners would have us believe that ugly racism is restricted to the south when the overall record for the north is poorer on integration.
One of my majors is in Sociology and I am definitely aware of that. There was an unbelievable amount of legislation passed in the North for the sole purpose of isolating particular groups and restricting economic opportunities. I could probably write a book on the subject, phew.
Thank you for the responses!

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Sounds like fun. I'd move back in a heartbeat if the opportunity arose. In any case, I'm sure you'll find most people are very friendly and welcoming.
My mom's best friend is a literal "Connecticut Yankee," but this friend has also been the driving force behind the local history museum in our town and helped uncover information that was news even to those of us whose families have been there for many generations. This friend has become as much a "native" as anyone else -- our town truly wouldn't be the same without her.
The point here being that, yes, you're moving to a place that's fundamentally different in all kinds of ways, but there will be plenty of opportunity to settle down and fit in. Best of luck to you -- I have to admit I'm a little jealous.

mephistopheles

Oct 14, 2014
Ugh, hush puppies... I haven't had those since I was kid! I didn't know those were a Southern treat. I'm definitely looking forward to all the food. It all sounds delicious.
Thank you, guys. Your comments are much appreciated. :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.