Anybody Bought From great-estate-pipes on the Bay?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Won one of their auctions on Wednesday. Haven't heard a word from them, it doesn't appear that they even have accepted my payment for a Todd Johnson pipe I paid for within 15 minutes of the auction ending. Haven't responded to a message I sent to them either. Someone might say they could be away or whatever but why would someone start an auction and then be away for an extended period at the time it ended?
I am tempted to cancel the PayPal payment but perhaps that is what they're wanting. I got what I thought was a pretty good deal on the pipe. Further, that could be playing into their hands as they could then turn around and complain to Ebay that I was a bad buyer. First real problem I've had purchasing a pipe on Ebay. Perhaps I should just feel lucky with that record.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Chance Whittamore is 100% reliable.
Don't worry, it's a technical issue or similar... you are not being messed with.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Mark, Chance of Great Estate pipes is an excellent ebay seller. I have never heard of anyone having an issue with him. I have bought from him a couple of times and know plenty of others who have used him.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I appreciate the validations. One of the values of a forum like this. I'm not being impatient, I have plenty of pipes to smoke. Just get concerned when someone does something totally different than other people. I hope something bad hasn't happened to him.

jaygreen55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2015
I just won my 5th pipe from Chance last week ( a gorgeous unsmoked Paul Perri stacked bent billiard) I've never had any problems with a transaction and never been disappointed with a pipe
My only problem with him is that his photography is overexposed by a stop or 2 making the pipes look lighter in color than they really are. I don't know if this is a result of poor technique or a deliberate attempt to make the pipes look newer than the are since they darken with age

Jan 8, 2013
Just get concerned when...
So easy to do when ordering online from Ebay or a retailer, etc., when there seems to be a delay. For me, what happens is, at first I get a little worried, and nervous, and then I start pacing and continuously stopping to check the status online, and then I start scratching. Then I begin pulling my beard and hair, and then I scream in anguish and tear my clothes. Next thing you know, I'm the talk of the town as "that crazy guy who ran up and down Main Street, buck naked shaking his fist and cursing the heavens and crying." I mean... they just don't get it.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
My only problem with him is that his photography is overexposed by a stop or 2 making the pipes look lighter in color than they really are. I don't know if this is a result of poor technique or a deliberate attempt to make the pipes look newer than the are since they darken with age.
Nothing deliberate going on. Chance spent a day in my shop a few months back, and taking better photos was on the menu. For logistical reasons he decided to "dance with the girl what brung him" and stick to what he knew after seeing what was involved, though. (A major consideration was that space for lighting umbrellas & etc. was lacking in his multi-kid household).
Anyway, what you see just happens to be what he gets from his limited setup. "Deception by shitty photo" :lol: isn't part of his strategy in any way.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I don't see any problem with Chance's photo's. To my eye they are a hell of a lot better than treasurepipes. At least I can see the grain clearly in Chance's pipes.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
A seller doesn't "accept a payment" on Ebay. The buyer completes the payment and that's the end. Are you sure that you completed the payment? Early on, I didn't and so the buyer of course didn't receive payment and messaged me a few days later, asking if I was going to pay. (I also don't even see a Todd Johnson pipe that he has listed any time recently)

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Ebay says I paid. I’ve sent him 2 messages on eBay. Given the lack of response, I’m certainly not going to try to pay a second time. If he hasn’t been paid, all he needs to do is tell me and he’ll be paid in minutes.

Jan 8, 2013
It's certainly a lovely pipe. I wouldn't worry too much. I know, easier said than done, right? There's probably a legitimate reason for the delay.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Got an unsmoked Don Carlos volcano from them a few years ago. Great service and no issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.