PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
"Sanguinaccio"....Italian (sweet) chocolate blood-pudding. This special Lenten treat was sold in all old school Italian bakeries, but only around Ash Wednesday. Absolutely delicious! You would never know that the chocolate pudding was made with pig's blood (cooked), melted chocolate, and walnuts. It was thick, and velvety, like soft fudge, and was eaten by dipping a special vanilla cookie called "Lady Fingers" into the chocolate surprise. It was very rich, and a little went a long way. Great with a nice cup of espresso coffee, while eating some fruit, nuts, oranges, grapes, pastry, etc.

This old-timey "Sanguinaccio" (blood and nuts) tradition was starting to fade out in the '60s, and now...it's probably gone. I haven't seen this chocolate pudding in years.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
In Louisiana we eat some things others might turn their noses up at, and I guess if you don’t know what the French names mean, you might think it’s something “fancier” than it is. Boudin noir, for example, is blood sausage. Most stuff is just called what it is though. And some things are better than they sound. “Dirty rice,” for example.
I've always heard blood sausage as boudin rouge.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Kind of the flip side of your Rocky Mountain Oysters, but I've got one. I've heard that Mahi Mahi was once more commonly known as "Dolphin Fish." The name was gradually changed on restaurant menus to "Mahi Mahi" (which is apparently the Hawaiian name for the species) because restaurant patrons would think of a bottle-nosed dolphin when seeing "Dolphin Fish" and thought they'd be eating Flipper, so they didn't order it much. Needless to say, restaurants sell a lot more "Mahi Mahi" than they did "Dolphin Fish."
We called them Dorado or Dolphin all of my young life on the coast of Georgia. They were and are delicious and they are great to fight on light tackle. They are also very curious and as long as you keep one in the water, hooked...the rest will hang out and be caught in turn.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
We called them Dorado or Dolphin all of my young life on the coast of Georgia. They were and are delicious and they are great to fight on light tackle. They are also very curious and as long as you keep one in the water, hooked...the rest will hang out and be caught in turn.

Very interesting take on the fishing technique. Never heard of such a thing, but that's interesting to know.

Also, I somehow doubt it's the residents of Georgia who were being sensitive about eating a Dolphin Fish... people in coastal areas tend to know these things. I would suspect it's tourists and people living inland who were thinking about the mammalian Bottle Nosed Dolphins when seeing "Dolphin Fish" on the menu.

Reactions: BROBS

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Very interesting take on the fishing technique. Never heard of such a thing, but that's interesting to know.

Also, I somehow doubt it's the residents of Georgia who were being sensitive about eating a Dolphin Fish... people in coastal areas tend to know these things. I would suspect it's tourists and people living inland who were thinking about the mammalian Bottle Nosed Dolphins when seeing "Dolphin Fish" on the menu.
Dolphins have excellent meat. Sea mammals are a culinary genre of their own, and among them, dolphins are a treat.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Didn't have any when I visited New Orleans a few years ago but I did try Alligator and Nutria. Also had the best croissants I've ever had outside of France for breakfast at my hotel (a small hotel in an old house in the French Quarter); when I remarked on how good the croissants were the waiter responded "well, the pastry chef did train in France".
You can’t get it in restaurants that I know of. Boudin noir, that is. FDA said “no more.” People still make it at home though. Especially at big boucherie or cochon de lait parties.

Reactions: timelord

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Dolphins have excellent meat. Sea mammals are a culinary genre of their own, and among them, dolphins are a treat.

I would try it myself, though I understand some people are put off at the prospect of eating a dolphin. I eat other mammals every time I have a burger or a slice of bacon, so why not try a dolphin. I know it's part of the culture in some maritime cultures.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I would try it myself, though I understand some people are put off at the prospect of eating a dolphin. I eat other mammals every time I have a burger or a slice of bacon, so why not try a dolphin. I know it's part of the culture in some maritime cultures.
Discussions on that topic tend to derail fast. But staying on this thread's topic, in Denmark one of the dolphin species is called marsvin, which translates to sea pig. They don't eat the sea pigs anymore, but I'm sure they did in the past.

Reactions: lawdawg

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I won’t derail the thread any further but if you’d eat a dolphin or whale just eat humans. Fuck it. The dolphins and whales are more intelligent and certainly more conscientious than most who eat them. It’s crazy how your nation’s IQ average is a full 20 points less than the US with so many fewer people.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
Faroe Island infants have the most tender vittles. Those little blue eyed darlings scream a treat when they’re slaughtered though!!!
It's ok to eat dolphins, they're gang rapists and racist genociders. I'm not even joking, i learned some weird things about dolphins in biology class. Dolphins are smart enough to be assholes. Chimps too. Chimps are smart enough to have tribal warfare and serial killers.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
It's ok to eat dolphins, they're gang rapists and racist genociders. I'm not even joking, i learned some weird things about dolphins in biology class. Dolphins are smart enough to be assholes. Chimps too. Chimps are smart enough to have tribal warfare and serial killers.

Then eat human. ?

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I won’t derail the thread any further but if you’d eat a dolphin or whale just eat humans. Fuck it. The dolphins and whales are more intelligent and certainly more conscientious than most who eat them. It’s crazy how your nation’s IQ average is a full 20 points less than the US with so many fewer people.
Who is eating dolphins or whales? I agree with you, btw. But we were not discussing eating dolphin, the mammal. We were discussing eating dolphin, the fish...aka mahi mahi and dorado.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Who is eating dolphins or whales? I agree with you, btw. But we were not discussing eating dolphin, the mammal. We were discussing eating dolphin, the fish...aka mahi mahi and dorado.
@workman eats dolphins and whales. Yes the sea mammals with high intelligence and full of mercury. Perhaps the country as a whole is not smart enough to see it as a problem. The Faroe Islands: truest shithole of the planet. Uninhabited by those of high intellectual being.

Status
Not open for further replies.