PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barredbenny

Lurker
Jul 16, 2021
London, UK
I’m a fairly experienced pipe smoker, about ten years in and tongue bite has never really been an issue for me. But somehow MacBaren Navy Flake, which I picked up on a whim, really has me stumped. I find it delicious but no matter how slowly I smoke it (I’m talking an hour and 15 for a single flake), I get a tingly and mildly irritated tongue. I have tried using it with filter crystals, drying the baccy, delayed gratification, same deal. Do I just give up, or is there hope?

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
look they're the only brand that bites me at this point. It's still controllable for me but no other brand does that to me unless I really stop paying attention (can't talk on the phone and smoke, can talk to a person right there and smoke but not the phone). Macs well they can get me if I go off just a bit. As terrible as this advice might be it worked for me. Which is to just smoke that blend for a week after letting it dry out a little more. Put it in a jar for three to four weeks and the bite while still there will be further away. Kind of goes from dog that doesn't know you and growls to old friend with arthritis who only bites if you forget not to pet his hips.

badbeard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2017
Kentucky, USA
I have this problem with MB stuff. The only blend of theirs I can smoke without irritation is Dark Twist. I've come back a few times because I love their flavors, but it always creeps in eventually. I guess my body chemistry just doesn't work with whatever they use as a base casing. Even 9mm charcoal filters don't entirely stop it.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I have this problem with MB stuff. The only blend of theirs I can smoke without irritation is Dark Twist. I've come back a few times because I love their flavors, but it always creeps in eventually. I guess my body chemistry just doesn't work with whatever they use as a base casing. Even 9mm charcoal filters don't entirely stop it.
They're my favorite maker of pipe tobacco (based on how often I buy and smoke their stuff) and after smoking a lot of their stuff other blends seem to be totally bite free.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
I have the same problem with many MB blends. A few have surprised me in a good way. Most of the HH blends, Navy Flake, Mixture and Mixture Flake, Virginia Flake. Others like Dark Twist, Roll Cake, Three Nuns Green, even dry and well aged, do me in. The only way I can deal at all is taking frequent breaks during the smoke. Even then, there are so many blends that are way more enjoyable that it’s just not worth it for me.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I have to pick and choose the blends. Amphora Burley, made by MacBaren, is a robust blend but doesn't bite me at all. But a tinned mixture from MacBarens with about twelve different tobaccos bit the worst of any. I don't think they make that one anymore. Can't remember the exact name.
it bit you so hard it effected your memory.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
I am also a member of the Macbite club. I stopped smoking any Mac blend 5 years ago. There are a few other Sutliff blends that bite on me as well. Mainly the burley blends.

Reactions: mingc

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
As some of the other folks have said, move on. There's a plethora of blends out there. Smoke the ones that don't bite. If drying the tobacco helps, do it if you have the patience (I don't most of the times).

Time can also change your experience. I had a problem with Mac Bitey blends years ago, moved on, and when I came back to them a decade later, they no longer bit to the point of discomfort. Whether my mouth chemistry had changed, or I had grown callouses on my tongue, or the blends have aged away the bite, I don't know.

Reactions: jpberg

Bluemonter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 29, 2021
Maybe you're just using the wrong tool for the job at hand.

I smoke all MacB and other aromatics in clay pipes.
No gurgling, hot steam nor tongue bite.
No drying or special packing procedures.
Fill the bowl and smoke away....

Barredbenny

Lurker
Jul 16, 2021
London, UK
Some helpful tips, thank you! Jarring it for a while, further drying, long stems, clay pipes.... but most seem to suggest just moving on. I don’t have long or clay pipes so that reduces my options a bit.

I have jarred it and will look onwards. As all pipe tobacco more or less costs the same in the UK, I think I shall get a tin of something tried and true to wash away the taste. I’m thinking SG Golden Glow or something like that, lovely bright VA of some sort. Thanks everyone!

marconi

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2019
England
I’m a fairly experienced pipe smoker, about ten years in and tongue bite has never really been an issue for me. But somehow MacBaren Navy Flake, which I picked up on a whim, really has me stumped. I find it delicious but no matter how slowly I smoke it (I’m talking an hour and 15 for a single flake), I get a tingly and mildly irritated tongue. I have tried using it with filter crystals, drying the baccy, delayed gratification, same deal. Do I just give up, or is there hope?
I suggest you try a filter pipe that worked for me.There is no way I can smoke Mac Barens Scottish mixture without a charcoal filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.