Any Savinelli Experts Around? 1985 Collection?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

skydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2017
I picked up the below Savinelli 1985 Collection pipe from a thrift shop.

xtf17NK.jpg

What I've been able to find seems like it is a yearly pipe like I suspected and 1985 seems to be the first year. Seems like it's one shape per year as well? Anyone know where this falls in the range of the Savinelli line? I think the nicest Savinelli I've ever bought was a Punto Oro so I'm not familiar with much above that in the Savinelli line. Hopefully someone has some knowledge to share with me. I couldn't say no to any Savinelli for the $25 I paid for it, especially one with a nice blast like this one. Thanks!

I am also not an expert, by any means, but Iraisch probably hit the head of the nail. The Autographs were always their one-of-a-kinds and then they would develop a shape from that line to produce multiples. It's definitely a good bet that it is a better pipe than their mainstream machine-mades.

It looks massive in the picture, like a hammer. How does it weigh? Smoke well?

Spa32

Oct 2, 2019
Wisconsin, USA
Great find at a great price! I own 2 collection pipes that I purchased from Savinelli and I've always thought of them as an Autograph quality pipe. Email Savinelli in Italy about the pipe and they will tell you what you want to know.

skydog

Jun 27, 2017
I am also not an expert, by any means, but Iraisch probably hit the head of the nail. The Autographs were always their one-of-a-kinds and then they would develop a shape from that line to produce multiples. It's definitely a good bet that it is a better pipe than their mainstream machine-mades.

It looks massive in the picture, like a hammer. How does it weigh? Smoke well?

It's pretty chunky but the actual bowl isn't much larger than normal. I haven't smoked it yet but I'll report back when I do.

It definitely seems like a nicer pipe than any other Savinelli pipes I have but I didn't want to assume it was a step below the Autograph line since I couldn't find any confirmation online.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

skydog

Jun 27, 2017
I don't think it is a step below Autographs in quality or engineering. It just isn't One-of-a-kind, which might affect price points, but not the actual quality. Does that make sense?

Gotcha, not concerned with price points since I like the blast enough to keep it on a shelf even if it ends up rarely getting smoked. Glad to hear it's as high quality as I suspected. I barely looked at in the shop once I saw the Savinelli stamp on the bottom and heard the asking price. I've walked past a lot of abused Dr. Grabow pipes in thrift shops and never been lucky enough to find a pipe I would want, especially at a good price! Thanks for the info!

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

skydog

Jun 27, 2017
Had some time to clean it up a bit and am enjoying the first smoke now. No ghost from what I can tell so far and smoking very fine indeed. It shows it's age a bit but being a couple years older than me I'm ok with that. Definitely a little chunky in the hand but still comfortable. Holds nearly twice as much tobacco as I usually pack in my everyday pipes but I've got a couple other larger pipes I keep around for longer smoke sessions as well so it will join that herd of pipes.

tvqXq3K.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.