Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9) - Bob

About 10 yrs ago, I lucked out on a S&R squat 1/8 bent bulldog. Went to touch it up on the buffer, dropped the pipe & snapped the original acrylic stem. Had a new ebonite repair stem fitted to the pipe & tossed the broken stem. A month later, after tossing the original stem, I read an article on replacement tennons.

Have any repair mistakes you care to pos.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: rushx9

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've heard more laments about over-reaming, especially when a beginner gets a new reamer and offers to do his friend's whole pipe rack. Goodbye pipes. By the way, if you don't build cake in your pipes, you'll never need a reamer and the chambers will always stay the original size. Fortunately, I wasn't the one with the reamer-crazy friend, but I did buy the victim two new pipes.

burleyboy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Europe
The only repair that I regret was done by a shop. Repair men are a rare species on this side of the pond and I try to do as much as possible by myself.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
I once got a little Derby Lovat on ebay and the first time I tried to remove the stem, the tenon broke. It was a clean break so I carefully superglued it back on. Then when I attempted to insert it, the shank broke. I still have it to remind myself not to attempt to bite off more than I can chew!

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
I once got a little Derby Lovat on ebay and the first time I tried to remove the stem, the tenon broke. It was a clean break so I carefully superglued it back on. Then when I attempted to insert it, the shank broke. I still have it to remind myself not to attempt to bite off more than I can chew!

OUCH ?

• Sad
Reactions: rushx9

grilledokra

Lurker
Oct 27, 2016
Broke the shank on an old shank-logo’d Kaywoodie. The stinger was frozen to the metal shank threads. That one hurt my pride a bit and reminded me to slow down.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Not repairs but regrettable modifications. I tried opening the air way on a few pipe recently. I like them at 4mm. The shank is the easy part. The mouthpieces not so much. I split 3 so now I in sending them out for new ones. If you go slow, Vulcanite is easier if you use a delicate hand. If you rush Acrylic you risk it melting around your still bit. I rushed. Mama always said "Life is like a box of chocolates, but boy, you make that Forrest Gump look like a genius. Seriously, what happened to you? I didn't dropped you or nuthin. I told you that holding your breath till you pass out wasn't good for you. I bet you are real proud of that 8 minute 53 second record now aren't ya? Ya killed half your brain cells and I don't think you were born with a full load. Boy, I bet you win a Noble Putz Prize one day.". I miss her. Ironically , she was a motivational speaker.

• Haha
Reactions: chopper and bent1
Status
Not open for further replies.