PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Rpink53

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 31, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA
Edited: title. In place of "Is there value here?"
Used mso's suggestion. -jpm

This lot looks good - this would be my first venture into repairing pipes, but it’s a reputable dealer and I’d think there’s value at current price:

Is this too much to take on?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: beargreasediet

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I bet it goes to 25 per pipe, so $750. One Dunhill, it's worth approx $200 restored. Quite a bit of work, but could return a small profit. Too much work, too little to gain, for me. For some reason, these large groups are popular. If Deadman could make enough profit per pipe, he would do so versus selling a lot. He came to the same conclusion as I, too much work.

Aug 1, 2012
I bet it goes to 25 per pipe, so $750. One Dunhill, it's worth approx $200 restored. Quite a bit of work, but could return a small profit. Too much work, too little to gain, for me. For some reason, these large groups are popular. If Deadman could make enough profit per pipe, he would do so versus selling a lot. He came to the same conclusion as I, too much work.
Yep. Nice lot but too much bone, too little meat.

Rpink53

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 31, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA
Give me a week and I'll send you 2-3 pipes to restore (with some help along the way). That might tell you how much work it takes to do a full resto with sale at the end.
Give me a week and I'll send you 2-3 pipes to restore (with some help along the way). That might tell you how much work it takes to do a full resto with sale at the end.
that is very generous and it would much appreciated! Thank you

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think a better title for the thread would be: "Any Profit in Restoring Pipes?" Giving people the topic of the thread in the title saves some time and reinforces your question. Some of these guys are responding during work breaks or home chores, and any help is appreciated.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Most of my pipes are estates.
I buy pipes because they "call to me", never from a resale point of view.
So I spend time to bring them up to my standard.
If a pipe arrives that is not quite what I really want, I'll gift it.

If you're intending flipping them, you need to factor in how much your time is worth, and the possible return to you.
Which means you need to have an idea of how much a particular pipe is worth on the estate market.
And the time you're prepared to wait for a sale.

One of the Forums members @bayareabriar has posted previously on how he's built up his rotation of "collectibles" by buying pipes in lots like this one, flipping the ones he doesn't want, and keeping the good ones.

If that lot goes for $750-900, it means you have paid $25-30 per pipe, mostly from recognised producers, which I think is worth the punt.

There is a sense of achievement when you bring a grubby, well-used (sometimes abused) pipe back to a presentable and smokeable state.

Good luck if you do decide to bid.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Back not all that many years ago when I could buy lots on eBay at cost of ~$5 per pipe, and the pipes weren't total basket cases, I could earn a little extra pin money.

I can clean up a pipe with a minimal investment of my time. When there are major issues it's best to a.) toss it b.) keep it as a truck pipe c.) Frankenstein it (experiment).

There are lots of self proclaimed "Pipe Restorers" that have sprung up in the last few years, all hustling for a buck, and in many cases doing more damage than good to the stock of estate pipes out there.

That said, learning to restore/refurbish pipes is a skill that will pay off in that you can find some hidden gems that just need a little TLC and will give you great satisfaction in smoking and adding to your collection.

alan73

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
I was going to sell the whole lot via Pipestud , but Steve wanted an inventory which I haven’t had the time to do

Reactions: BROBS
Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Edited: title. In place of "Is there value here?"
Used mso's suggestion. -jpm

This lot looks good - this would be my first venture into repairing pipes, but it’s a reputable dealer and I’d think there’s value at current price:

Is this too much to take on?
It is a nice lot and Todd is a gentleman seller. His refurbished pipes alway always fetch very high prices.
For aprox. 25,00 bucks a pipe it could be great to develop your skills on, depending on how deep your pockets are and assuming your pipe refurbishing skills are of course top notch :)
This is btw an not yet ended Ebay auction !