PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommy Boy

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 28, 2020
Michigan
my daughter is turning 16 in a few weeks and She's taken an interest in nature photography. I was just curious if there was any photographers out there that maybe had some Canon cameras that are not getting used that they might be willing to part with? my neighbor's son used to do photography and he has a couple of lenses (58mm) that would fit on a Canon T6 or t7 or rebel series that he would give me if I can get a camera that can use them. So does anyone have a Canon T6 or t7 or something similar that they would like to sell or part with? also any recommendations on good beginner photography books or websites to check out would be appreciated as well thanks guys.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
I have a canon elan film 35mm in literalky mint condition that I can sell for near nothing. It fits all todays canon lebses if you are a canon guy. She should start with film because she will have to slow down and compose and make sure lighting aperture speed is right etc... few rolls film to be developed and digitized is inexpensive

Reactions: Tommy Boy

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm interested in the suggestion that a beginner use celluloid film and cameras. What film is available and where, and who processes it? I have a hard time feeling involved in the process with digital photography. I never worked as a pro, but I did use photography in my work, and had a longtime hobby, did some 8 mm animation at home besides, but mostly stills, and mostly b&w. Is there a real chain of availability on film and processing (not wanting to set up a darkroom, a bridge too far, though I did that at a newspaper one summer, after having a darkroom under the basement stairs growing up). Frankly, I just love the sound, smell, and feel of celluloid. Kodak Tri-X was my go-to film. That, to me, is photography -- even the wait getting back the prints is part of the creative process.

Tommy Boy

Mar 28, 2020
Michigan
I have a canon elan film 35mm in literalky mint condition that I can sell for near nothing. It fits all todays canon lebses if you are a canon guy. She should start with film because she will have to slow down and compose and make sure lighting aperture speed is right etc... few rolls film to be developed and digitized is inexpensive
Thank you for your generous offer. I think a digital might keep her more engaged and learning with being able to see the changes in the pictures as she changes settings and learns. Film sounds cool but im affraid she might loose some intresed if she has to wait a week to see her pictures or worse yet to find she had wrong setting and they didnt come out. I will definitely keep it in mind. Thanks for the book recommendations i will see if i can find them.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Advising a young person, I think I'd let them stay with digital, since that's the language they speak. It's a culture and mindset they understand and negotiate, because they grew up with it and it is the air they breathe. In college, I was handed a Graphlex sheet film camera as an introduction, and because I was a camera nerd, I loved messing with it, but when we "graduated" to 35mm, which I already owned myself, it was clear that was the current state of the art for journalism. The other was an experience in history, like having us hand-set type. I may take another stab at digital -- I like the product just fine, I just don't feel much involvement, but I wouldn't insist that a young person act out as if they'd been born in the mid-20th Century. I endeavor to happiness in my place in time. With digital, I still like the camera with a eye-level viewfinder, for composition. I find the little screen at the back of the camera a piece of trash ... reflections, glare, and no forehead to steady it ... trash.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
Thank you for your generous offer. I think a digital might keep her more engaged and learning with being able to see the changes in the pictures as she changes settings and learns. Film sounds cool but im affraid she might loose some intresed if she has to wait a week to see her pictures or worse yet to find she had wrong setting and they didnt come out. I will definitely keep it in mind. Thanks for the book recommendations i will see if i can find them.
Keep in mind - because I know I'm right - Also the camera has auto-features - it's digital but a film SLR so you can let the camera calculate the right settings - you just wont be able to see the photo immediately with instant gratification - AND IT'S FULL FRAME - SO BETTER PHOTOS Camera was from like 1999 and used once or twice. I like digital - but it's been abused and kids/newbies tend to be quick with the finger and forget what photogrpahy is about . If you think she will lose interest, let her stick to a smartphone.

Tommy Boy

Mar 28, 2020
Michigan
She does use her smartphone and a point and click camera we have for vacations already. She has been taking photos with those for about a year and still likes it. Thats why i thought an upgrade was in order. Anything i can do to help her find enjoyment and the beauty in the world with side orders of self esteem and confidence that so many girls struggle with is good in my book. Plus it gets her outside and exploring her surroundings.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
"Nature photography" encompasses a wide area, macro, wildlife, scenic, etc. I've been a wildlife shooter for many years and avoiding celluloid is a great idea. School instructors like exposing students to film for reasons far beyond my understanding. Editors demand digital, digital sees (processes) light differently, I'll say better than film in the latest internal software. Digital needs an "eye" which sees light differently. Few viewers today have any idea of the differences between film and digital and the debate over which is better is answered primality how the finished product is to be used. I've sold four foot tall prints on canvas which held up well. But a four foot glossy? I'd move onto larger format digital is that was my normal goal.

So I'm in a minority but, I see no reason to waste time learning the properties of film and then having to forget and then learning digital.

So, go with an intro level Canon or any other decent brand and let her vision, not her equipment, determine her interests. And, remember the number of mega-pixels is important but, not as important as the size. More information collected equals a wider spectrum of color, wider contrast, more options when doing post shooting processing.

Everything above is arguable.

Last edited:

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
My two cents because I was a military photojournalist until I retired and managing editor of a magazine for 10 years after that. The point and click cameras are great for teaching photo composition. If you want her to learn "real" photography, it - in my opinion - is going to involve setting up your own darkroom for processing the b/w photos you shoot (or finding a photography club that has a photolab.) and shooting lots of b/w film. Again, that's just my personal opinion. I was taught b/w first and was told that once you could evoke an emotional response with a b/w photo, you can easily advance to doing the same with color. Learning b/w first also gives you a greater understanding of lighting and exposure. Again, that's my opinion.

That being said, and as someone who is more than competent with digital cameras and Photoshop, I would say it is not necessary to do it that way if she is only going to do it as an amateur.

You didn't mention how old she is or where she is at in school (grade not location). She should definitely find some photography courses to take or a good photography club (if any still exists). Until you learn the nuts and bolts of photography and how to get repeatable results, you might as well stick to shooting with a point & click or smartphone camera.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I should add, there is little difference, only generational usually, between reputable/quality brands. I will point that only on Nikon can I use old, very old, Nikkor lenses on the latest digital Nikon body with some restrictions. I present this as food for thought for future decision making. And, when "big" glass is to be purchased ... there are some noticeable differences in how the light is handled by the lenses in the barrel, weight and ease of use. Canon, Sony, Nikon, etc. use different approaches focus the light onto the sensor. Few viewers would see a difference. Few photographers would see the difference unless similar shots are viewed sided-by-side.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
warren, great post! A lot of years of thinking and learning backing that up, I surmise. I admire your nuanced sense of the difference in applications of celluloid and digital. That is some subtlety indeed. " ... let her vision, not her equipment, determine her interests." Boy, there it is.

I think beginners think they are photographing objects, which is a pleasing notion, but what you are photographing is the light reflected by the objects, which is a different animal.

If you haven't, you might, write a fine book on your experience.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes.

While the notion of learning on celluloid (eg, darkroom, etc.) is interesting, and the way many of us did it, it's not remotely necessary to learn to shoot well.

Film made me think a bit more before pressing the shutter, both as to composition and settings. But if a bit of discipline is used, and not thinking you can just fix it in post, good things can come.

It's really the brain behind the viewfinder (or cheat screen), not the equipment.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
kind of jealous actually of kids with the digital cameras. When I started we didn't have such things we had to buy film and process it in the darkroom at school. Though I guess they'll miss out on the kind of fun having a room you're supposed to lock other people out of.

Tommy Boy

Mar 28, 2020
Michigan
I have no idea what I intended when I mishit the send button.

My suggestion, with a fifteen year old brain is get her a camera (Smart phone cameras are a decent place to start even), any camera. inspire her mind and turn her loose!
Thanks for the input warren. Thats what i was kind of thinking keep her enjoying it an growing and learning. With you being a professional photographer do you have any old cameras that you aren't using. I know i can buy a new t6 or t7 online but i would like to get a used one if i can and i prefer not to buy from ebay if i can.

Status
Not open for further replies.