PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In the last year or so, it is my impression that Savinelli discontinued its Oscar Lucite series. These had a bright orange stain and light colored stem, fairly jazzy for me, and did not take the 6 mm or any other filter. I have only one of these, a prince 315 KS, and one or two other similar pipes that were unfinished but otherwise quite similar. I really like the actual Oscar Lucite itself (and its half brothers). My only reservation would be that the light stain does show a bit of charring around the rim, but I like a little show of wear, some patina, so it is okay with me. Anyone else own one of this series?

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I got an Oscar Lucite 614 Oom Paul for Christmas from my son. Haven't smoked it much, but I'll keep it because it's a gift from my son. I just wish it was a bit longer. Smoke gets in my eyes and lighting is not very convenient.
002-033-45395.4465.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
ray47, I'd give that bent pipe another try. Those hang easy on the jaw, and most blends don't give off such a cloud of smoke that it really presents a problem, or that's my experience. chasing', that's your shape, and a good version of it! I always liked that the series didn't bother with the filter, since I usually smoke Sav's without one or with an adapter. My KS315 has a nice broad bowl, which is sometimes a good way to get the full keyboard of tastes on blends with five or six plus tobaccos. They all burn at once. I'm sorry Savinelli dropped Oscar Lucite (yes, a great guy!) but some of their unfinished and Rossi pipes fill some of the gap, but not with the nifty orange stain and light colored stem combination. I think the series was around for ten years or more.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I don't own one, but they were on my list due to the combination of cool looking stems, filterless drilling and attractive price point. I am sorry to hear they've discontinued them. I know the Tre is in the same price range, but I find them less appealing, visually.

I guess when I buy my next Sav i will either pony up for a Punto Oro blast, or get another unfinished one from my local B&M.

Reactions: BROBS

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
ray47, maybe there's no getting around an aversion. If it were me, I might trying it with a new blend you think you might like (where it is likely you will). And/or smoke the packed bowl intermittently. Bent pipes and nose warmers are popular with many, so I don't think the smoke-in-the-face problem is prevalent. If you don't like it, you don't. But some of the pipes I'd never buy for myself turn out to be big hits when someone gifts me with them. This happened with a churchwarden, an Oom-Paul, and a Meerschaum.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
ray47, maybe there's no getting around an aversion. If it were me, I might trying it with a new blend you think you might like (where it is likely you will). And/or smoke the packed bowl intermittently. Bent pipes and nose warmers are popular with many, so I don't think the smoke-in-the-face problem is prevalent. If you don't like it, you don't. But some of the pipes I'd never buy for myself turn out to be big hits when someone gifts me with them. This happened with a churchwarden, an Oom-Paul, and a Meerschaum.
I'm not giving up on this pipe. I've found that C&D's Yorktown smokes great in this pipe so I've dedicated it to straight Virginias. I won't sell it because it was a gift from my son and I hold it close to my heart. It will come around, I just need to be patient.

Status
Not open for further replies.