PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThreeRivers

Lurker
Feb 15, 2020
N Florida
Yeah, so this post is where I made the realization that I do not possess the knowledge base or the vocabulary to be involved in this thread! ?
What the hell is a Gaiwan? I thought he was one of the knights of the round table ?!
Gongfu? I may have to bow out on this one. Of course, this is coming from the guy that brews his tea in a drip coffee pot, with lots of sugar, and then pours it over ice. ?
Lol, don't stress it, my normal go to is still southern style sweet tea. Boiling water over 3 family sized liptons teabags, steeped for 10 minutes, dissolve a cup of cane sugar, then add cold water until the gallon pitcher is filled, let rest for 24 hours in the fridge and enjoy.

ChickenT00th

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2020
I have never heard of Guayaki, let alone Yerba in cans/bottles! I’ve only ever had it loose leaf I guess. I’m old school like a gaucho, have even made some in a plastic cup using a dismantled bic pen as the straw....yeah not to flash. I prefer the stronger and more bitter blends, canarias and rosamonte especial are favourites. Mainly drink Kraus as it’s more affordable in NZ
I suppose the Guayaki tea hasn't made it to your side of the world! Know what we get in the US, I'm sure whatever loose leaf you are used to is much better. Will definitely look for some.

Reactions: anotherbob

ChickenT00th

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2020
Yeah, so this post is where I made the realization that I do not possess the knowledge base or the vocabulary to be involved in this thread! ?
What the hell is a Gaiwan? I thought he was one of the knights of the round table ?!
Gongfu? I may have to bow out on this one. Of course, this is coming from the guy that brews his tea in a drip coffee pot, with lots of sugar, and then pours it over ice. ?
No worries! All tea talk welcome here. Being a south Louisianian of course I love my iced tea and sweet tea as well. A Gaiwan is a Chinese tea brewing tool, typically it's a lightweight small porcelain bowl, saucer, and lid. It's used to brew different types of Chinese/Taiwanese teas, like Oolong that's been mentioned here. Here's a short video I found that shows a Gaiwan and the process if you're interested.

I find the world of Oolong tea to be quite fascinating and much like tobacco in a sense that there are so many different cultivars, flavors, complexities, preparations, charcoal roasting, pressing into cakes, aging, fermenting, etc. And the Oolong tea leaves are quite beautiful to look at after they've been brewed. A lot of the leaves are individually hand rolled balls - and after brewing they flower out into their full leaf selves. Quite nice. Much like a bowl of exceptional tobacco through a well made pipe.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Being a south Louisianian...
... iced tea...

You sure you're from South Lousiana? In the snowy north of Tennessee, you've got sweet tea and unsweet tea. The ice is assumed and ordering "iced tea" will have you labeled a "Yankee tourist."

I adore long loose leaf sencha green tea. I haven't hunted high & low to find consistent quality, but I brew mine on the strong, generous side and there's a lovely sweetness that comes through.

(BTW, I originally am a Yankee - damn Yankee for 15 years and counting if you ask my southern wife & in-laws. I like iced tea because it's not already sweetened with the gobs of sugar that go into every batch of sweet tea).

ChickenT00th

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2020
You sure you're from South Lousiana? In the snowy north of Tennessee, you've got sweet tea and unsweet tea. The ice is assumed and ordering "iced tea" will have you labeled a "Yankee tourist."

I adore long loose leaf sencha green tea. I haven't hunted high & low to find consistent quality, but I brew mine on the strong, generous side and there's a lovely sweetness that comes through.

(BTW, I originally am a Yankee - damn Yankee for 15 years and counting if you ask my southern wife & in-laws. I like iced tea because it's not already sweetened with the gobs of sugar that go into every batch of sweet tea).
Haha touche', I'm quite certain I'm a south Louisianian because the humidity reminds me every day! I know every region has some different tea stuff going on, someone should really study this especially in the south because it's quite interesting.

From what I can remember, sweet tea was brought down here by Texans and other folks who were coming from out of state to help post-Katrina efforts. The more traditional style restaurants here won't serve sweet tea, rather "iced tea with lemon" is always how I've heard my grandmother and parents order tea. But who knows!

ChickenT00th

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2020

I also have spent a lot of time away from here, went to college in Boston, and traveled around for work about 10 years after that. So I could easily have it wrong!

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Haha touche', I'm quite certain I'm a south Louisianian because the humidity reminds me every day! I know every region has some different tea stuff going on, someone should really study this especially in the south because it's quite interesting.

From what I can remember, sweet tea was brought down here by Texans and other folks who were coming from out of state to help post-Katrina efforts. The more traditional style restaurants here won't serve sweet tea, rather "iced tea with lemon" is always how I've heard my grandmother and parents order tea. But who knows!
Sweet tea in Louisiana predates Katrina by a long time.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I don't know much about teas, but i do like the green teas they serve in Chinese restaurants. For general enjoyment I really prefer sweet tea like they serve in the South.

Moonbog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
Yeah, I like me some tea from time to time. Go through my phases. Lapsang Souchong is good, has a smoked fish taste that some people find off putting, but I like. As far as Oolong teas, I've always liked a good milk oolong and sometimes go for the more toasted oolongs when I'm in the mood for something nutty. Love tippy Yunan black tea and golden monkey black teas from China. Most of the stuff I drink is loose tea, but sometimes I'll buy a random box of Trader Joe's tea. Their Winter time tea is really nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.