PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

85royals

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 5, 2012
Hello I got a cheap metal detector from my mother, it was hers she did not use it.. I was hoping some of my forum friends here my be in to this fun hobby and my have some tips and info to share

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
pretty avid metal detectorist here... actually just got back from a big hunt out in some ghost towns in Texas. Been doing it a few years now.. By far one of the most exciting and enjoyable things I do.. I have found some pretty amazing stuff, which makes it that much more addicting... Let me know if you have any questions about detectors/gear or anything else... I currently am using a garrett AT pro...

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Interesting! My wife and I just had the idea of getting one for our soon-to-be 11 year old daughter (or possibly for Xmas).
@smeigs
Let me know if you have any questions about detectors/gear or anything else...
Curious about an inexpensive one - I was looking at these:
http://www.amazon.com/Bounty-Hunter-BHJS-Junior-Detector/dp/B0007VBRUE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1378227739&sr=8-2&keywords=metal+detector
http://www.amazon.com/Bounty-Hunter-Digger-Metal-Detector/dp/B0002J1LNO/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1378227739&sr=8-5&keywords=metal+detector
http://www.amazon.com/Winbest-Edition-Metal-Detector-BARSKA/dp/B005MVF0K2/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1378227739&sr=8-9&keywords=metal+detector
Any thoughts or opinions? I don't expect this becoming a lifelong obsession for our daughter, but would like it to be decent enough to be worth doing.
Thanks in advance.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks a lot Saintpeter - good to know about the headphones.
And you could be right about it becoming an obsession!

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
In Washington if you take a metal detector onto state land, you need a permit. Not sure about other states.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
@numbersix... bounty hunters are a good start for a young person, and for the price you cant really beat it. My first detector was a whites coinmaster.. Its about 150 but is a great starting detector. Its all digital and lets you discriminate the "junk" (trash, gum wrappers, soda pull tabs, bottle caps etc..) Your going to pay a bit more for one of these but it may be a little more enjoyable for your little one. Also garrett makes some great beginner ones like the Garrett ACE 150 and ACE 250.. Saint peter is right as well about young kids getting addicted, especially once the coins and jewelry start to pop up. I buy pretty much everything from kellyco.com. Bounty hunters are a good choice though if you just want to test the waters with your kid and not spend too much. I would recommend something digital though, its a bit easier and more enjoyable.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks a lot smeigs and stpeter. Really appreciate the advice. I will search those models out and do my research.

85royals

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 5, 2012
It is a Bounty Hunter pioneer EX.. Dad bought it for her a few years back she used it a dozen times and let it set.. So I was watching a British show called Time Team where the find old sites and Roman villa's it got me interested so I have got the little Bounty Hunter and enjoy it.. But I know its entry level so I have been looking on kellyco.com to up grade in a few months after the holidays maybe.. Thinking a Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II.. It comes with a good package pin pointer and I'll need to add on a good digger to my order the garden spade from my hardware store is not cutting it.. Any tips and info is great and I thank you all in advance..

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
@85royals.... be cautious with the pin pointers that come in packages with your detector.. while they might work a little bit they are usually a lower grade pin pointer.. Even when I ordered my Garrett AT Pro I received a pin pointer with the package and it was pretty awful I must say.. It was a very cheap pin pointer and not even worth taking with me... I invested in a good Garrett pro pin pointer which has saved my tons of head aches and senseless digging. As for a digging utensil I use a cheaper walmart brand of a mini shovel.. I picked it up for about 10 bucks.. It works well for pretty much everything unless you are going to do some hard core river digging or beach diggin.. I would recommend a sifter scoop for that stuff.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've always wondered, do metal detectors react only to ferrous metals (containing iron) or do they react to any

metal, like gold and silver, etc.? Either way, what are some of the items you've found? Does anyone pan for

gems? You really have to know what to look for, because a lot of gem stones just look like pebbles. Some

quarries offer really good panning if you know what you're seeing. (I don't.)

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
@mso489.. detectors do react to gold and silver as well. I have found pretty much everything you could think of, from pots and pans to hundred year old silver coins and pistols.. Its like gambling really, you never know what your going to get.. The more you research and do your homework the better the hunts and treasures you can find!

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
This is really fascinating. I think I'd like to try this out, I'm definitely a serious history buff so this is right up my alley. I'm "retired" from the paranormal thing for now, so this may scratch my investigation itch. I need a new hobby...

Status
Not open for further replies.