PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
I'm not a big fan of his but I loved him in The King of Comedy. I also watched a documentary about him and Dean Martin, their stellar double act, break up and then not speaking for 20 years. Frank Sinatra engineered them reuniting live on stage when he surprised Jerry at one of his Telethons. It's a great moment when Dean comes walking out, cigarette in hand and they embrace. They remained friends till Dean's death.
It was a brilliant thing to see.

What a great clip.

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I LOVED Jerry Lewis when I was a kid, watching an adult behaving like a young awkward kid. I felt it hilarious. I don't watch his films anymore, maybe I'll take a look one of these days.
The MD telethons were what they were. At least initially he was trying to do some good, which is more than be said of his detractors.
The pipes must have been props. They appear to have been unsmoked.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I did some maintenance work on his motor yacht in San Diego in the early 70’s. He must have been drinking in those days because every time he hit the dock too hard he blamed the steering mechanism and demanded that it be replaced! In those days non skid on the deck was paint with ground walnut embedded. The walnut came in varying sizes. Whenever pie eyed Jerry slipped and fell in front of his guests, he wanted a larger grade of walnuts! By the end you could almost walk between the chunks.
I do think,however, he was a very talented comic actor.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Like a lot of wild and crazy guys--actors, writers, others--( I always thought) Jerry Lewis could have bloomed as a serious actor if he'd found a director or confidant who could have cultivated enough trust to guide him, not reign him in, but provide the self-governance he could not find in himself. His tours as a serious actor were remarkable. Jackie Gleason who was always a bull in the china shop, was masterful in the pool hustler movie with Paul Newman. Gleason was better centered than Lewis, and to me, had a better career over all, more consistent and considered.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I thought Gleason upstaged Newman, which is saying quite a bit. He had a lot of soul and dramatic tension going. Also, he was a big big guy who could really dance. Used to brag about his ability as a brawler in his youth, which seemed entirely possible. Although few compare to Lewis for shear unleashed energy.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I don't know who underrated him. The critics raved about in The Hustler. Oscar nominee, many Emmys, three Golden Globes, and others. Maybe the public underrated him but, his peers sure didn't. Bombastic, full of himself with a tremendous zest for life ... He was oner! I'm guessing, unless a movie role was gonna be fun, movies simply required too much of Gleason's "me time." He liked control and his TV stuff left him in charge. Movies involved directers who's vision may have differed with his idea of how to play a role. I've read he only trusted himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.