PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I wasn't a fan in the conventional sense but I'll confess I enjoyed hate-watching the telethons. He had this pompous, self rightous, slightly dickish personality that worked well on live TV, particularly in the hours after he'd stopped caring about following any rules.

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
I remember my Dad liking to watch Jerry Lewis and Dean Martin reruns when I was a kid, and he was active and participated in those old MDA telethons...

Reactions: Sloopjohnbee

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Grew up watching the Lewis movies...big fan.

The Nutty Professor, Who's Minding the Store, The Family Jewels...

Silly comedies that I'll still watch when available.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
I liked his films - I just got a film textbook dated late 70's that he happened to own - he annotated notes to show where his thoughts were
Its on ebay if anyone's interested
Now that I found it I want to see the film he made in 1980 the book is dated 78

Reactions: scloyd

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
I wasn't a fan in the conventional sense but I'll confess I enjoyed hate-watching the telethons. He had this pompous, self rightous, slightly dickish personality that worked well on live TV, particularly in the hours after he'd stopped caring about following any rules.
with that said he raised a lot of money - and he was freinds with Dean Martin Frank and Sammy so that's a big deal

Reactions: kcghost and logs

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I go back to when Jerry Lewis had a late night show for a while and staged a sort of broadcast nervous breakdown. The French revere Lewis as a comedic artist, far above his celebrity in the U.S. I think he captures something the French see as innately American. He was pure misdirected energy. Oddly, one of his best roles was a co-starring role in a drama in which he played a comedian who got kidnapped, and as a serious actor he was oddly compelling. His comedy was a little broad for me, and those odd teenage yelps he emitted were downright worrisome, but I'd be lying to say I didn't get some laughs. The telethons I just couldn't watch. His energy overdrive may be reflected in his many children, all sons, that kept arriving for decades. I'm glad he wasn't my dad.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
I go back to when Jerry Lewis had a late night show for a while and staged a sort of broadcast nervous breakdown. The French revere Lewis as a comedic artist, far above his celebrity in the U.S. I think he captures something the French see as innately American. He was pure misdirected energy. Oddly, one of his best roles was a co-starring role in a drama in which he played a comedian who got kidnapped, and as a serious actor he was oddly compelling. His comedy was a little broad for me, and those odd teenage yelps he emitted were downright worrisome, but I'd be lying to say I didn't get some laughs. The telethons I just couldn't watch. His energy overdrive may be reflected in his many children, all sons, that kept arriving for decades. I'm glad he wasn't my dad.
apparently he had a failed chain of movie theatres

Reactions: logs

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Come on! There have to be some French members. Their film industry idolized him.

And, if he did nothing else with his life, those telethons were emblematic of his humanity. Having more than one relative with MS, he was something special. I wasn't a fan of the "screaming" comedy with Dean but, he did some terrific dramatic work. "The King of Comedy" and "The Day the Comedy Died" are stellar movies.

• Love

elasmo

Can't Leave
Mar 23, 2019
Liked The Nutty Professor quite a lot. Can't stand him in anything else. Very much akin to Adam Sandler and Happy Gilmore.

Jun 9, 2018
England
I'm not a big fan of his but I loved him in The King of Comedy. I also watched a documentary about him and Dean Martin, their stellar double act, break up and then not speaking for 20 years. Frank Sinatra engineered them reuniting live on stage when he surprised Jerry at one of his Telethons. It's a great moment when Dean comes walking out, cigarette in hand and they embrace. They remained friends till Dean's death.
It was a brilliant thing to see.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
I'm not a big fan of his but I loved him in The King of Comedy. I also watched a documentary about him and Dean Martin, their stellar double act, break up and then not speaking for 20 years. Frank Sinatra engineered them reuniting live on stage when he surprised Jerry at one of his Telethons. It's a great moment when Dean comes walking out, cigarette in hand and they embrace. They remained friends till Dean's death.
It was a brilliant thing to see.

One of Scorcese's better one's - Jerry's performance was excellent - and De Neeero was okay too - I'm not a Sandra Bernhard fan tho-

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg
Status
Not open for further replies.