Any Info on Dating a Bertram's of D.C. Pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
I had been meaning to find a good Bertram pipe for a while just due it's historical footprint in my region. It also helps that they are regarded as well-made (even Stalin liked them). However, I've read that they were better regarded pre-WW2 and the increased production between 1945 and the 1960s when their production facility was destroyed in the MLK riots.
I've always been a sucker for oval shanks and Dublins. So, when this shape came up, I pounced. I've only ever seen this Dublin/Canadian thing on an Upshall before (and it was over $300). I'm pretty impressed that it's only 30 grams for a rather large 6.5" pipe.
The long and short of it, does anyone know anyway of dating a Bertram pipe, particularly if it's unusual shape like this? I know there is a 1950 Bertram's catalog on Pipepages.com. All of the pipes in it have 3 digit shape numbers. This one has a "90" or "06" - it's hard to say which since the numbers are blocky and could be read either direction.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I've had a few, but don't recall any having those 3 digit shape numbers. All of mine had two digit pricing stamps, 90 was $9, etc. If that is a 90, that is a pretty good Bertrams! Their shortcoming was the stems, most weren't finished very nicely. He took ex-Vets off the street and made them pipemakers, so the stems were only finished to a point. They do respond nicely to some finer grades of paper and the buffing wheel.

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Thanks. A little more digging turned up that the "90" is a grading/pricing system that they used. (Apparently, it's commonly 30/60/90, etc. which translated into $3, $6, $9, etc.). The highest that I'm seen referenced was a 105, so apparently it's not a 100 pt scale which I would have assumed.
Yes, the stem looks like it got attacked by a pit bull. I'm going to have to put a little elbow grease into anyhow. The lack of nomenclature on the stem makes it easier to address.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Its odd that 3 digit shape numbers are in the catalog, but I've never seen one on a pipe! I have a 60 Dublin waiting at home for restoration.

briarfanatic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 27, 2013
I feel that the numbers are indeed a price scale. I have a Bertrams stamped 125 that has straight grain all around the bowl. It is a squat bulldog. When I am able to I can post a picture.

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Briarfanatic - The highest grade that I've found reference to online has been a 105 so, yes, I'd love to see a 125.
Newbroom - where did you get that shape number from? The 1950s flyer didn't have it in it. Do you have another resource?
The grading/price system seems dangerous. The shop was opened before WW2, ceased pipe production in the late 1960s, and closed shop in 1977. Even though inflation wasn't as crazy as later on, I'd imagine the prices had to increase between the 1940s-1960s. Did that inflate the grading quality?

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I have a set of 3 , 150 thru 125 grade bought from a Drs daughter , he had passed away, paid 600$ for the set, I like em and was buying a piece of History, figured he bought them in the 40s.

Status
Not open for further replies.