PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I know nothing, but to the untrained eye, this looks like Castello's response to the Danish bonanza of freehand designs around the eighties and nineties, though it could be a later iteration on the same design theme.

I have a Thompson Cigar house pipe that is clearly a Danish influenced freehand, and it's stamped West Germany, so that gives a historical time frame for it.

That's nicely done, and not imitative, sort of an Italian take on the freehand. I like the smooth and rusticated areas of finish and the lively colored stem.

PipeCat

Might Stick Around
Aug 1, 2020
Los Angeles Area
www.etsy.com
I just did find the mention of "Relax" line for Castellos... but it refered to it being a prototype. Yes, it does have a freehandish look of the 70's. I wonder when Castello started making Sea Rocks? That might help with dating.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I’d guess it’s from the late 70’s, early 80’s. It looks like a shape 215 but I’d need a straight on mugshot to say for sure. I have a Relax in the 215 shape but it’s not as “Relaxed” as yours. I alway wondered why mine is marked Relax as it’s a pretty standard 215.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Interesting Castello didn't use plateau briar on this design, likely because it wouldn't have been distinct from the rustication. Design-wise, it is quite individualistic and imaginative. It looks like they gave their carver a lot of initiative on this one. Highly distinctive.

Reactions: dunnyboy

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I just did find the mention of "Relax" line for Castellos... but it refered to it being a prototype. Yes, it does have a freehandish look of the 70's. I wonder when Castello started making Sea Rocks? That might help with dating.
I have a Sea Rock dated "1948".

Reactions: dunnyboy