PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dare66

Might Stick Around
Dec 24, 2018
Any homebrewers out there? I've been brewing since 1995 love to brew Saisons, porters, stouts, NEIPAs and dopplebocks. I'm having one of my dopplebocks now.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
I’ve got 5 gallons of Russian Imperial Stout that I need to make time to bottle.
I brewed it and transferred it to a secondary fermenter. I’m hoping it turns out ok. It’s been in the secondary for a couple of months. But probably about 14% alcohol. So, I imagine it’s ok.

filmshooter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2017
I've been brewing since 99, just haven't done any recently. I gave up on bottling early and went straight to kegs and force carbonation.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I've been brewing for a while but I'm still in the "experimental" stage. I'll take a recipe I like and do things like dry hopping or adding a hint of a different malt just to see what the results are.
Right now I'm working on what I call a "pale stout". Going for a citrusy/orangey pale ale style hop profile but with a more malty stout body profile and a mildly chocolatey flavor profile. Chocolate? Orange? Beer? What's not to like? Still haven't got it worked out yet though. At least the results are still as good as or better than many mass produced beers out there.
Belgian dubbels and tripels are fun to brew also.

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
I also brew, have 5 gallons of cider that needs to be bottled. I mostly stick with ciders and mead just for there ease and simplicity, but for time time to time I also brew IPAs and stouts. I really want to get into sours and lambics but I'm too afraid to introduce the bugs into my brewing equipment for fear it will contaminate all my carboys and bottling equipment.

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
I make apple wine. Pretty quick and dirty, but I've gotten pretty good at consistently getting a decent product with little cash and time outlay. It comes in at 18% - 20%. Admittedly not a lot of character or bouquet, I usually use it in highballs or make a wine cooler type thang.

dare66

Might Stick Around
Dec 24, 2018
I love Russian Imperial Stouts it's a great winter warmer. I have a few 5 gallons bourbon barrels that I've used to age a few.

elessar

Apr 24, 2019
I've been brewing for a few years although I haven't made any recently due to chasing a toddler around the house. I intend to start a new batch soon though. Time to fire up the beer machine once again.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Yep. Was on the board of directors for the great northern brewers club up here for a bit. Love to brew it all but particularly ipa, ris, belgians, and brett beers. Also wits.

twangthang

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
As Anonymous said I love brewing but there are so many local breweries out there I haven’t brewed in a while. I have tried my hand at wine making and enjoyed that. I would love to give mead making try.

nunnster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 17, 2019
I have been brewing off and on since 2007. I started doing it while in the Army because it was far cheaper to brew 10 gallons of beer than to buy its equivalent, and for several years every month I would try to brew something. Over the last few years I haven't had much time for many of my hobbies due to rapid life changes (youngest son born, went back to school,and a host of other things), but I longingly look at my glass carboy and buckets for the time the pace of my life slows down and I can brew again. I also experimented with making mead and apple Ice wine, neither of which turned out great but got the job done.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
My buddy gave me a Mr. Beer kit a few years ago that I dabbled with. It was fun, but my home brew stuff was always a little too tasteless for me. I'd like to give it another go when I'm not chasing toddlers around.

elessar

Apr 24, 2019
To me, those Mr. Beer kits leave a lot to be desired. You would probably have much better results ordering a beer kit from a supplier like Midwest Supplies or someone local. You can make that on a turkey fryer or even the stove if needed.

nunnster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 17, 2019
Yea I agree. The Mr. Beer kits are a great intro into brewing, but they are kind of lack luster. Unless they have changed, it's a full malt extract. If and when you get time, if it suits your fancy, I would suggest trying to do a partial grain brew. You can still use malt extract for the base of the wort and make a good beer, but you're definitely going to need some adjunct grains to really give it flavor and mouthfeel.

elessar

Apr 24, 2019
nunnster hits the nail on the head. Don't let Mr. Beer kits dissuade you from brewing. The partial grain brewing isn't really much more difficult and the results are much better.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Mr. Beer kits are BS.
Partial, or steeped grain brewing can make just as good of beer as all grain brewing, you just don't have as many options and you have a little less control/customization. The first Best of Show I ever won in a homebrew comp was a porter I made with extract + steeped grain. It's super easy, and requires much less time, investment, effort, and knowledge, and you can make some great beer.
I would recommend doing several batches of extract + steeped grain brews to learn the procedural ropes, and then consider moving up to all grain with the classic cooler mash tun. Easy to build and way less intimidating than it seems at first.
And remember, when the going gets tough, Relax, Don't Worry, Have a Homebrew!

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Fair enough on the Mr. Beer kits, I know I wasn't going to get a premium brew from it. It is something that I think about occasionally, but with other methods does my house smell like a brewery?
Something like Agent Schrader's set up would be nice!
breaking-bad-sony-brewing-schraderbrau-01.jpg

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Your house will smell like a brewery during the boil and for a couple hours after. Its a weird smell at first, but you come to love it over time. Just like latakia or peat :)

Status
Not open for further replies.