PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 9, 2018
England
There's a good documentary on Amazon Prime called Hunt vs Lauda: F1's Greatest Racing Rivals about James Hunt's epic battle with Niki Lauda in 1976.
There's also a movie based on Hunt vs Lauda called Rush that is on Netflix.

I loved James Hunt, he was a total hell-raising one-off. Below is a link to a clip of an interview he gave after just having won the British Grand Prix. He asks if someone has a spare cigarette and they hand him the one they had just been puffing on?. You can't Imagine anyone doing that today. For a start none of the drivers smoke and even if they did smoking is banned at all race tracks.
A different era with different people.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

ron123

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 28, 2015
Park Ridge, IL
There's a good documentary on Amazon Prime called Hunt vs Lauda: F1's Greatest Racing Rivals about James Hunt's epic battle with Niki Lauda in 1976.
There's also a movie based on Hunt vs Lauda called Rush that is on Netflix.
I wasn't an F1 fan but have been watching the series on Netflix, so thanks for the recommendations, Mr Doherty. Can't find the Rush about F1 on Netflix, but did just add the other one to my Amazon watch-list. Cheers!

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg
Jun 27, 2016
F-1 fan in general, used to watch in the 80's & 90's on ABC Wide World of Sports, then on ESPN2, & finally Speedvision & it's various incarnations, but I don't follow the series anymore, & haven't for a while. Brawn GP was probably the most recent interesting story to me. Have a bunch of races on VHS somewhere. Posey, Hobbs, & Matchett in the booth were the best. In watching older races on You Tube, I've noticed that James Hunt as color was much more interesting & easier to listen to than Murray Walker as announcer. Made it out to Indy in the early 2000's & it was a good time. Luckily, not the "tire debacle" race.

Jun 9, 2018
England
I wasn't an F1 fan but have been watching the series on Netflix, so thanks for the recommendations, Mr Doherty. Can't find the Rush about F1 on Netflix, but did just add the other one to my Amazon watch-list. Cheers!

I just checked and it's definitely on Netflix. It could be a country thing, I live in England so have UK Netflix. I know that different countries versions of Netflix have different tv programs & films on them, maybe it's that?
BTW who is "Mr Doherty?" I think maybe you've got me mixed up with someone else? I'm Chris?.
Anyway I'm glad you found the documentary on Amazon Prime. It's a good watch that isn't too long, about 45 minutes I think. They manage to cram a lot into that time and have interviews with all the important players, including both teams managers and the late great Niki Lauda as well. Of course they couldn't interview James Hunt as he died a long time ago (he was only 45 when he died?).

There's another documentary that might interest you called Barry Sheen & James Hunt: When Playboys Ruled The World. This one's free on YouTube (link below).
It's about Hunt and double world motorbike champion Barry Sheen and their hell-raising, playboy lifestyles.

Reactions: ron123 and jpmcwjr
Jun 9, 2018
England

Senna was/is a ledgend. Definitely my all time favourite F1 driver, with Schumacher a close second. It's a shame Ayrton died when he did as it would have been a dream to see him and Michael go up against each other, both in championship winning cars.

I remember watching the 94 San Marino Grand Prix live, I couldn't believe it when we found out Ayrton had died. Such a shame?.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Another fan here...I began watching in the days of Schumacher, Montoya, Coulthard, Raikonnnen, Alonso.
I still enjoy it now in the hybrid era, helped by some youngsters like Verstappen

That was a brilliant era to watch!
Verstappen is definitely a special talent, and Leclerc looks like a future world champion as well.?

Mar 1, 2014
Not trying to derail but I should say my biggest events of the year are still the endurance championships.
LeMans, Daytona, and thank goodness we've finally been getting access to the Liqui-Moly Bathurst 12 hour, all events I seriously regret missing if my schedule ever forbids dedicating a weekend to a race.
Each event on its own is worth a full season of stories from most other leagues.
Plus it's awesome to hunker down in the simulator (just a Fanatec CSW2.5) and run a few four hour stints to get a hint of an idea of the mental fortitude on display in those races.

morgansteele

Can't Leave
Mar 23, 2018
Went to several British Grands Prix in the 60's (as a small child), 70's and 80's; just missed getting to the Malaysian Grand Prix in 2008.

Be glad you missed the 2009 Malaysian GP, too. That 2009 race was a DELUGE-fest and stopped about halfway through. I watched it on television but I'll never forget that race.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Nah much prefer MotoGP at least there is overtaking ;)

My local cable company doesn't carry the Bien Network, so I haven't seen Moto GP for about four years - MotoGP just changed to NBC Sports, which I have, and the season gets postponed!

Found this picture from the 03 Indy race. (Schumacher won)

IMAGE011.JPG

Jun 9, 2018
England
My local cable company doesn't carry the Bien Network, so I haven't seen Moto GP for about four years - MotoGP just changed to NBC Sports, which I have, and the season gets postponed!

Found this picture from the 03 Indy race. (Schumacher won)

View attachment 29051

I only got into MotoGP in the last few years but have come to really enjoy it. F1 is still my number one when it comes to motorsports but MotoGP makes a nice change of pace, I love all the overtaking.
I can't watch the races live as it's only available on BT Sport (in the UK) which is a subscription service, we get to see highlights of each race for free on ITV though.
Sadly it's the same for F1 now in the UK. Sky Sports have the exclusive rights and Sky is a subscription channel, which I just can't afford at the moment. We get free highlights of each race later the same day which is obviously better than nothing, but it's not the same as watching the races live. On race day I have to avoid watching the news otherwise they can reveal the result before I've had a chance to see the race. That's caught me out on more than one occasion, very annoying! ?

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.