PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
I am pretty good in lighting up the pipe using matches with wind finding the right spot using walls and trees. However, there is always a point where at least it gets no more fun. I know in these situations Zippo is considered the best choice but I don't really like to deal with a fluid lighter, so I am looking for other options.
I noticed that for cigars there is the Fuego coil lighter Fuego Lighter

which is actually pretty cool. However it is too big and with a recessed coil which makes it unusable for the pipe.
So I was looking for something similar which could be used with a pipe and I found the Pure Spark Pure Spark Lighter

which is marketed toward pipes (even if it looks to other kind of piping) as it has a larger and ticker coil which is sticking outside of the unit so in theory it might work.

Any experience with this or with other coil lighters?

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I guess I'll be the only one playing devil's advocate here, and vote for the coil lighters.
Wait, no I won't.
No no no

anantaandroscoggin

Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
A while back I spent a week or so searching through what was available then in the way of Plasma lighters. There were only a couple that looked like they might be usable as pipe lighters, but I didn't buy any of them.
No idea what improvements and variations on plasma lighters the various manufacturers have come up with since, but perhaps I'll be taking a new look at what's available now.

64alex

May 10, 2016
To clarify I am not talking of plasma lighters which don't work. I am talking about heating coil lighters like the lighters of old cars. If you see at my original post there is actually a link to a cigar coil lighter which is pretty impressive and sold by a major cigar reseller. This one does not work however with a pipe as it is too large and recessed. On the other the commonly seen USB coil (not plasma) lighters are too small, weak and recessed to work with a pipe.

The one I was talking about https://www.plazmatic.com/collections/pure-spark-elite might work as it has a bigger and ticker coil and it is not recessed. The only question is if it is strong enough for lighting a pipe. A coil can definitely light up a pipe if strong enough and the cigar model is pretty impressive.

rfernand

Oct 2, 2015
giphy.gif

Jan 8, 2013
You know, I'm all about the old fashioned matches and a Zippo. But you know what? I gotta play devil's advocate here. This thing might just work.
hot-coil_large.png

Now... who's gonna be the guinea pig?

Mar 1, 2014
In the winter it’s nearly impossible to get any gas fed lighter to work.

At this point I’m confident the only lighter I would really enjoy using year round would be a high power laser.

Status
Not open for further replies.