PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnome

Lurker
Feb 6, 2016
Does anyone remember "Jester" from the 8o's or early 90's? How about the old Drum or Baily shag?

I'm looking for a virinia, or virginia blend with a similar flavor.

gnome

Lurker
Feb 6, 2016
Thats a great page link, thank you.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a tin of pipe tobacco? Halfzware shag cigarette tobacco seems to be impossible to buy online.

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
Does anyone have any recommendations for a tin of pipe tobacco?
Not all tobacco is created equal my friend. You're going to have to be a little less vague than that. What type of blends do you like?

gnome

Lurker
Feb 6, 2016
Sorry,not trying to be vague , just looking for a pipe tobacco with a flavor profile similar to the RYO listed in the first post. The cheap virginia you get at the minimart is a little harsh.

:)

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
Ahh, I see. My misunderstanding. I am unfamiliar with that tobacco so I am of no use to you but I am sure someone here may have the knowledge to help.

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
It was probably more my fault as I have one eye on the rugby match.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I haven't found anything better than Drum Gold or Regular, if you're hand-rolling. Using pipe tobacco is not advised and the "RYO" advertised most everywhere seems like dreck, although some have noted a few quality exceptions. But, I also have to speak up for Peter Stokkebye's Amsterdam mixture, although you'll need a pipe to enjoy it.

gnome

Lurker
Feb 6, 2016
My intention is to use a pipe. I don't smoke cigarettes any more. I started with a pipe in the early 80's, and went to RYO in the early 90's. When CVS stop selling tobacco products, I went back to a pipe, because pipe tobacco is easy to get online, not to mention, it's pretty damn enjoyable. Thanks for the tip on Stokkebye's.

aeropuffer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2016
I upon one time used to smoke Sir Walter Raleigh for my rolling pleasure. It was a pleasent room note and is mild for RYO's.

gnome

Lurker
Feb 6, 2016
I upon one time used to smoke Sir Walter Raleigh for my rolling pleasure. It was a pleasent room note and is mild for RYO's.
I've done that with PA, but I'm looking for something to put in a pipe that will give me a taste similar to the RYO.

I miss doing the RYO thing, but i'm not going back to them. I enjoy all the variety pipe tobacco gives me. Petersons Aran blend reminded me of the taste i'm after, if it didn't have the vanilla.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I'm looking for something to put in a pipe that will give me a taste similar to the RYO.
Check out Whole-leaf tobacco and low cased tobaccos like 3 Sails and Ramback from D&R:
http://wholeleaftobacco.com/Whole-Leaf-Tobacco-Blends_c17.htm
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/brands/1703/daughters-ryan/

danhester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2016
Yeah, I use Daughters & Ryan Ryback as a halfzware style RYO tobacco. Good mix of Dark-Fired Kentucky and VA. Also, Three Sails by D&R is a really good pure VA shag. The Stokkebye RYO shags are the best of all, but a bit pricey. Their pipe tobacco cousins (i.e. the 80 series) make for a solid RYO choice as well, though as a traditional ribbon, I have to chop it up a little finer to make it easier to roll.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Smoked more than my share of Drum, Samson back when I was on the nails. I even visited the head shops to buy the little five buck rolling machines to hand roll a pack for the day. (Talk about a fish out of water in those places.)
Delicious tobacco and far more enjoyable than my usual pack of Merit tailor mades.
Fnord

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
The Daughters and Ryan blends mentioned above. Rybac is a very smoky halfzware style blend and 3 Sails is a very bright Virginia shag. You will like them in a pipe.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Do it properly man. Buy some XXX Black Rope and finely slice it using a straight razor and use that as your RYO and then chew any left overs! :rofl:

gnome

Lurker
Feb 6, 2016
Three sails sounds like it is just what i'm looking for. Thank you for the link.

Does anyone know of a bulk virginia like three sails? I would go through a tin in just a few days.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Three sails sounds like it is just what i'm looking for. Thank you for the link.
You're welcome! :puffy:
Does anyone know of a bulk virginia like three sails?
P&C sells it in bulk:
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-tobacco/72693/daughters-ryan-three-sails-tin-bag-bulk/

Status
Not open for further replies.