PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

sittingbear

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
We are in the process of relocating to Oly for work. Of course I'm aware of the Seattle Pipe Club, but I was wondering if there's anything closer to Olympia?

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
Oh, dear. WA is a dismal place for pipe smokers because the 95% wholesale tax on pipe tobacco drove pretty much every retailer to cigar-heavy inventory...so there’s not really much aside from a small handful of places, most of which are in Seattle or near it.

If you’re relocating from out of state, stock up first, especially if you’re used to ordering online, because it’s illegal to mail order tobacco here, and almost every online tobacconist that I’m aware of won’t ship tobacco here. So if you didn’t already know that, now you do.

The only lounge I’m aware of that’s okay with pipe smokers is Smokey Joe’s in Fife (the Seattle Pipe Club had events there before the cootievirus turned everything into Demolition Man). They’re inside BJ’s Bingo, but I dunno if they’ve opened back up all the way yet. That doesn’t mean they’re the only one, just that they’re all I know of.

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
Oh, dear. WA is a dismal place for pipe smokers because the 95% wholesale tax on pipe tobacco drove pretty much every retailer to cigar-heavy inventory...so there’s not really much aside from a small handful of places, most of which are in Seattle or near it.

If you’re relocating from out of state, stock up first, especially if you’re used to ordering online, because it’s illegal to mail order tobacco here, and almost every online tobacconist that I’m aware of won’t ship tobacco here. So if you didn’t already know that, now you do.

The only lounge I’m aware of that’s okay with pipe smokers is Smokey Joe’s in Fife (the Seattle Pipe Club had events there before the cootievirus turned everything into Demolition Man). They’re inside BJ’s Bingo, but I dunno if they’ve opened back up all the way yet. That doesn’t mean they’re the only one, just that they’re all I know of.
You are 100% right. Used to love chew, dip, cigars etc. Man, here in the South East tobacco is cheap. First time went to a gas station in WA for a tin of Copenhagen and they said “ that’ll be $9.00, I was like WTF?

sittingbear

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA

I'm pretty well stocked, and have people in Oregon who can receive packages. I'm just curious about the local pipe community. Sounds like it's not much...

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
I'm pretty well stocked, and have people in Oregon who can receive packages. I'm just curious about the local pipe community. Sounds like it's not much...

Yeah, SPC is the only one I’m aware of, but there might be more. I don’t do clubs or events, so there’s a possibility that I’m just completely out of the loop!

Reactions: sittingbear
Status
Not open for further replies.