New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sponsor a high school chess team, and yes they are always an "interesting" bunch of kids. I am ranked and keep my standing with USCF current. I don't get a chance to smoke while coaching or at tournaments, but when I get the chance to set down with friends for social chess, I always have my pipe handy. We don't have a coffee house to set around and play chess anymore in town, since people here lost interest in $5 coffee. But, I have a few friends who I will get together with in the park to play when weather permits.

Well, for just coffee, it was more like $1.70 a cup, but coffee houses are just the worst business idea ever. Hmmmm, lets start a business that offers coffee that can be more cheaply made at home, and then invite people to hang out all day. I'm just glad that people don't grow their own tobaccos, or else pipe shops will all go the way of the independent coffee houses.
The smartphone chess apps just don't impress me. Besides, I'm a social player, even competitively I like to talk and learn more about who I'm playing. Just playing a game on a computer or other device doesn't interest me at all.

sean81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2013
I play a little. I'm in the process of teaching the game to my wife. I haven't had a smoke while playing...maybe next time.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
What's a ladder tournament? Like I said. "I suck at chess." Never did tournaments because I would embar-ass my self.

frank13

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2014
Bakersfield, CA
I've played for years. I'm not all that great, but then, neither are any of my opponents. It's mostly just for fun, and I play against my youngest son, quite often.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I used to be very good. Played for most of youth; our team won state when I was in the 8th grade. Sadly I moved junior year and stopped playing for the most part. I've taught my daughter, but haven't played competitively in a long time. I used to play in the service a bit, but cards were more the standard.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I love chess and have a number of exquisite hand made boards. I liven Ukraine and we played all the time especially with a clock. I work with kids and have gotten to really grow some of their skills. I am also especially fond of cribbage.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I can tolerate cribbage. I love poker, mainly TX Holdem. I've had a 29 hand. A moment I'll always remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.