PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

cragdhack

Might Stick Around
Aug 31, 2021
Romania
I've recently gotten into the hobby of woodcarving, as I'm slowly setting up for general woodworking.

This was mostly done using a Dremel with a flexshaft and Kutzall burrs on fir wood, mahogany lacquer on top. I'm still a beginner, but I think it came out nicely for a start.

I will eventually try my hand at carving a tobacco pipe using one of those unfinished block pipes as a base. Anyone here into carving / powercarving?

(Click on Spoiler to reveal images)
20220911_184223[1].jpg

20220911_190936[1].jpg

20220911_190954[1].jpg

Last edited:

Chaukisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 31, 2021
Northern Germany
I always had quite an interest but I never managed to buy some proper knives. I don't care much for the use of machines and he who wants to carve with knives also has to get his sharpening skills in order.
At the moment I'm much too occupied to get into all this.
But I still might. I love the smell of wood and how it feels, it's a great material to work with.

That's some nice work you did there, how long did it take you? Do you know what wood it is?
I always like to watch woodwork related videos on YouTube,
one fine day I found this video about how colonial era gunsmiths made a muzzle loader rifle. All this work masterfully done with a strong hand, It's admirable.
I can also recommend checking out David Bull, maybe you'll like his content. Very soothing personality with lots of fun stories and some impressive carving. Goes great in the evening with a hot drink and pipe.

Good luck on future projects and enjoy! Make sure to show off what you came up with.

Reactions: cragdhack

cragdhack

Might Stick Around
Aug 31, 2021
Romania
Good luck on future projects and enjoy! Make sure to show off what you came up with.
Thank you! And I will.

If you want to see some insanely good powercarving, I recommend this man's work:

I make little wood things for fun and profit (usually not so much profit :/ ).
Lovely work! Have you considered carving on an unfinished predrilled pipe? I see these crop up here and there.

1664721366189.png

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
This was mostly done using a Dremel with a flexshaft and Kutzall burrs
Try doing the same pattern with gouges and knife, I think you'll find it easier to control and get cleaner cuts. A good sharp tool will leave the wood much smoother and if you're careful you won't have to do any sanding. There's also the added bonus of no dust. You simply sweep away the shavings. I live in an apartment and found out the hard way.

cragdhack

Might Stick Around
Aug 31, 2021
Romania
Try doing the same pattern with gouges and knife, I think you'll find it easier to control and get cleaner cuts. A good sharp tool will leave the wood much smoother and if you're careful you won't have to do any sanding. There's also the added bonus of no dust. You simply sweep away the shavings. I live in an apartment and found out the hard way.
Very nice pieces! I approve of the dwarves, especially.
I will eventually get into miniature hand carving, but that'll happen after I set up a little workshop, as I'm taking things slowly.
Currently getting the hang of sharpening, chiseling, sawing and planing, as I would like to eventually make pieces of furniture by hand.
Until then though, the Dremel will keep me on the carve train.

Reactions: Chaukisch
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Thank you! And I will.

If you want to see some insanely good powercarving, I recommend this man's work:

Lovely work! Have you considered carving on an unfinished predrilled pipe? I see these crop up here and there.

View attachment 172457
I was impressed by the level of detail that guy in the video got into, especially the painting of the undersides of the plants. That was very cool—thank you for sharing the vid. The clear resin was a great touch. I'm glad it worked out for him.