PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

runscott

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
All of my Kaywoodie pipes have been impulse purchases, yesterday almost passing on this 'Ninety-Fiver' because they wanted $15. Took another look at the grain and decided I'd take it. It has the stinger intact.

I've asked Kaywoodie questions in other forums and rarely gotten responses. Are there Kaywoodie collectors in this forum?

20220515_083610 2.jpg

runscott

Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
I love Kaywoodies, not sure I’m a collector but I do own several from various years and I’m always interested in Kaywoodie discussions.

Just checked and I now have five.

Here's my favorite, a 'Chesterfield', which fortunately was just a 'clean-up' job by the seller. It has KB&B stamping on the ferrule. I sort of collect the Peterson clones from right after the patent expired, and this is one of the more difficult ones to find.

s-l1600-13.jpg

runscott

Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Most of my Colossus Pipe Factory pipes are from the tail end of their run, when Kaufmann Bros. & Bondy owned them, so I guess I'm a Kaywoodie collector. I also have several proper Kaywoodies. An interesting note, I have a C.P.F. version of a Chesterfield. I'll try to post a picture later.
Me too. It's stamped 'Chesterfield', but looks quite different. Unfortunately, this is one of the few pipes I ever returned to a seller - the stem doesn't even remotely fit the stummel.

s-l1600-3.jpg

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Most of my Colossus Pipe Factory pipes are from the tail end of their run, when Kaufmann Bros. & Bondy owned them, so I guess I'm a Kaywoodie collector. I also have several proper Kaywoodies. An interesting note, I have a C.P.F. version of a Chesterfield. I'll try to post a picture later.
Thank you, I just learned something new. I didn’t know CPF was related to Kaywoodie. I have a 1917 to 1919 CPF calabash with porcelain insert. Now, I might start looking for a Kaywoodie I like. Time to study some history.

runscott

Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Thank you, I just learned something new. I didn’t know CPF was related to Kaywoodie. I have a 1917 to 1919 CPF calabash with porcelain insert. Now, I might start looking for a Kaywoodie I like. Time to study some history.
Same here. Looking into the history of those old pipe companies is too much like our family's genealogy...the family 'bush'.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have one of the later versions of the Drinkless with the screw-in stinger stem, but I am (so help me) a fan of the current production too. I think they went through a "drugstore pipe" phase, but the several I've ordered with the push bit have been work horse pipes, nicely drilled and finished, with surprisingly good insulation even with fairly thin walls. I'm no collector but an admirer of some of the U.S. factory pipes, the few briar brands that still exist.

runscott

Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
If I were a Kaywoodie collector, I'd be considering this - a 1970's full set of the second Collector's series (11C-16C):

s-l1600.jpg

runscott

Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Those are nice. I avoid sets of more than two pipes, because it's supposedly a business for me, and I wouldn't break up a set. The exception would be Petersons for my personal collection, but I don't have any such sets yet.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't buy pipes in multiples, just to keep the accumulation down. However, I have bought two each of the Stanwell 32 bulldog and the Peterson B11 smooth brandy sitter, although all have different finishes. They've all earned their keep and haven't been culled over the years. And I bought each on separate occasions. Despite quite a stable, I don't experience it as too many pipes. I'm almost always pleased to get back to a particular pipe, sometimes a little surprised.

Reactions: MattRVA

runscott

Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
I've rarely read anything bad about an older Kaywoodie. Yours looks to be in decent shape too.

I'm almost finished restoring the ninety-fiver - just need to polish the stem and buff the stummel. Wow. Finally something worth taking home from an antique store.

If anyone knows the vintage of this one, I'd like to know - I'm guessing 1950's.