PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Great catches! Central N.C. must have been strongly cigarette country. Despite its rural surroundings out into the counties, pipes and accessories are somewhat rare in antique shops, flea markets, and yard sales. And folks act sort of suspicious when I ask about them.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
still annoyed by the time I went to a goodwill without my wallet and found a weird stoneware snuff bottle for an American snuff company I've never heard of but which sounded genuinely old tyme. Three bucks for that would have been a great steal. Oh well.

Reactions: docpierce

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
alaskanpiper:

A very nice prize. Most of the antique/junk shops in my area have closed up in the last five years. With the exception of Goodwill and Saint Vincent's. I find nothing there.

However, on my trips inland there are several shops that I have found prizes. The wife and I love hunting through those places. I mostly see damaged, burned and cracked Graybows and the occasional Kaywoodie.
I did find a hound dog pipe stand for $20 and a never smoked Petersen Dalky for $35(it is now smoked). Those were the best things I have found while junking.
Thats awesome! Hard to beat an unsmoked pete for $35! And as a bloodhound owner, I can’t help but admire the stand as well!

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
We said "pandemic be damned" this weekend! The wife wanted to get away from the house for at least a day so we drove over to the Mobile/Daphne/Fairhope, Alabama area to visit some of the antique/junktique shops over there.

Saw a couple of pipes at Cotton City Antiques in Mobile, but nothing I wanted.

Found a motherlode of pipes at the Daphne Antique Gallery - over 30 pipes in total plus a number of pipe racks and stands. Some of the racks had tobacco jars. Most of the pipes were the typical Kaywoodies or Dr. Grabows but I did see two Mastercrafts. What was more interesting was there were four new, never smoked pipes - 2 Savinelli's, a Rattray and a Big Ben for $75 or less. Again, nothing I felt like buying.

Went to two shops in Fairhope. The Copper Roof had about 15 junk pipes and a couple of interesting but overpriced pipe stands. I did find a six-pipe wall rack for $24 and I probably overpaid for it.

There are a lot of antique shops in Fairhope but the Copper Roof and Southern Antiques and Accents are the only two I usually find pipe stuff at. Southern Antique had four or five pipe racks with glass tobacco jars mostly priced at $65 each which seemed overpriced. The had one six pipe rack with a ceramic jar for $75. All the racks had the usual low-end pipes.

I've often talked about how these shops have either a tendency to overprice the items or completely misidentify the item and basically give it away. My purchase at Southern Antique was the latter in my opinion. I found a jar sitting in one booth tagged as "Italian Jar, $12." I noticed a rubber seal around the neck of the lid to make it airtight so I turned it over to see if it was stamped. The porcelain jar still had the Comoy's of London, Made in Italy tag on the bottom. After I paid for the jar and had the bag safely in my hand, I told the nice lady that it was a tobacco jar and could have been priced at $45 and would have sold.

Antique_finds090520jpg.jpg

rx2man

Part of the Furniture Now
May 25, 2012
Funny about the pipe as I found that exact one although a lighter finish for cheap at an antiques mall...meer lined and 14k band.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The pipe is really handsome, but that pipe stand and tobacco box is a treasure. Maybe they are common some places, but I've never seen one quite like it. I'm always complaining about the lack of pipes and accessories in my local shops and yard sales, etc. I guess this area just didn't have pipe smokers. It's cigarette country.

Reactions: Country Bladesmith