PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
So as not to derail the OP I'll stop posting but here is another interesting vulcanite pipe. Maker unknown:
hs54ja.jpg

eug5n5.jpg

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
I've also seen vulcanite pipes with a briar bowl shaped like a revolver. They show up frequently on eBay, and I always wonder what kind of smoker wanted a pipe giving the appearance of a gun with the barrel in their mouth, where they smoked it, and what message was intended.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Rifles too. They were probably thought of as being patriotic around WWI maybe? There are a couple different versions of the rifle. The first one is called The Defender and the second one is marked Army and Navy. About the only difference between the two is the way the bowls mount. There were probably lots of these made & sold. Makers are unknown.
s2f87t.jpg

2n20mx2.jpg

64f1ph.jpg

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Here is a rare one though. The USS Maine. Patented in 1898, the same yr the Maine was sunk in the Spanish-American War. This is the only pipe known to exist & it appears to be missing something off the tops of the two towers.
2h3bhah.jpg

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
One more interesting vulcanite pipe with the likeness of President Theodore Roosevelt on one side and his wife on the other. Only one known to exist. Maker unknown.
bhk7js.jpg

2ryjxvb.jpg

jonasclark

Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
I'd love to own one of the simple revolver-shaped ones, but I'm not willing to pay much. I think they're neat in a morbid sort of way, like walking around with a figural gun in one's mouth broadcast a very gruesome message.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
It would be fun to have a really ornate vulcanite pipe with a meerschaum bowl in a guys collection but you can see by the Roosevelt pipe just how hard it would be to clean the oxidation from the detail. When I first saw the Roosevelt image with the big mustache, his hair slicked back (& no eyeglasses) I thought it was Wyatt Earp!

thesinistral

Might Stick Around
Jan 27, 2016
Beautiful pipe. I was almost tempted by that one myself... EDIT: oops, nevermind. I had it confused with a similar one.

Jan 10, 2014
Your dragon claw billiard is probably dyed as you suspect. Over a century ago, meerschaum artisans dyed some of their pipes using aniline in oxblood or Sudan brown. This is an old pipe. Look at the claw in the second picture and notice the mottled dark spots where some of the dye has rubbed off. There is coloration where there is a chip next to that claw, and it is quite dark. The even spread of the mottling suggests a quality meerschaum stummel. beerandbaccy is right about price: it is all relative. I think you got value for the price you paid. I would not buy that pipe today at that price mostly because I am not seeking to expand my collection. Ten years ago, assuming I had the money, yes, definitely. This is capitalism, a seller and buyer agreeing on a price for an item.

heibs

Lurker
Mar 1, 2018
How would you clean/wax the claw foot. I have a “dragon’s blood stained dog head that needs a good cleaning and waxing. Thanks for any info.

aimus1

Lurker
Jun 6, 2015
vJ2v1f4.png
[/url][/img]
be6Xjxy.png
[/url][/img]imgur.com/eoNKHQz.png" title="source: imgur.com" />[/img]
Awesome Dragon Claws!

I've got a pre-colored dragon claw straight billiard. I've seen similair pipes but this is the only straight I've ever seen. Yours look to be in better condition as you can see what appears to be a repair on the claw in pic #2.

I've been thinning out some pipes if anyone might be interested. PM me if so

oldmansmoking

May 13, 2017
UK
Excellent pipe, but worried about them cracking after my experience recently.

They are not cheap but you got it at a good price.

Maybe new Meerschaum’s are not of the quality of the old ones.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
How would you clean/wax the claw foot. I have a “dragon’s blood stained dog head that needs a good cleaning and waxing. Thanks for any info.
Which pipe are you referring to? Are there photos on this site?

gatorlope

Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
I’ve got a Victorian lady’s pipe that’s a beauty. You could fit your pinky in the bowl of the pipe - maybe. Nicely colored,too.

Picture coming...

Status
Not open for further replies.