PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Dear all,

I just received this marvelous, chunky pipe, bought off Ebay. I know nothing about it other than that it has a wind cap (something I always wanted), and that it is CHUNKY! There are two markings on it, one saying "Made in France", and another saying "EP". It was advertised as a 19th century piece. It really doesn't matter to me if it is or not because I'm very happy with it. It came spotlessly clean, smelling of antique furniture, no trace of tobacco smell at all. I'll give it another cleaning of course before smoking, but overall very happy with it.

If anyone can tell me anything about it I'd be very glad.

The chamber is cavernous, just how I like it, 5cm deep, 2.5cm wide at the mouth, with a brass ring on top, and nickel band. The nickel band looks like it's either replaced (not great job), or fitted later in the pipe's life as there's an obvious seam, and it is not flush.
The wood doesn't look like briar as I know it, makes me wonder if it is pear, cherry or something else, briar should have a tighter grain in my mind.

The drilling is unusual (or not?), there's an idea of a Peterson system-like thing going on, the draft hole is placed above a well of sorts. It won't pass a pipe cleaner easily, but does if I twist it around a bit. There are some dings in the wood, but nothing that looks deep, there may be fillings in the dark area of the top of the bowl but I'm not an expert in wood to know. The chamber looks fine and clean, no signs of burning or carbonisation of the wood.

Excuse the quality of the photos, my phone is not very good!
1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg10.jpg

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Having finished work I gave it some more attention, cleaned and smoked it, then cleaned it again, water flushed, and is now drying for the night.

There's a hint of brass taste to the smoke which is not enjoyable though, I hope it goes away with smoking it more. By the end of the bowl the antique furniture taste was gone too. I wonder how to polish the brass bits, using something like baking soda or tooth paste? The draft hole was also deceptively gunked, it took many pipe cleaners soaked in alcohol to clean out, and I also used a drill bit to scoop out some of the gunk. Bonus to this is that now it is noticeably airier, something else that works for me.

Ok, so first smoking impressions are very good indeed!

The well under the draft hole is indeed Peterson Systemesque, it collects condensation, and the pipe delivers a nice cool, dry and flavourful smoke. The chamber is big indeed, easily a 2+ hour smoke.

Overall, very happy with it!

Reactions: kcghost and OzPiper