PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Browsing a local junque shop, a pipe shaped object caught my eye. On second look..it was indeed a pipe. I picked it up and gave it the once over. [As an aside, I've only ever found 1 mainline brand name pipe locally in an antique shop.] I didn't have high hopes but I flipped it over and to my surprise it was a Comoy's sandblast, shape 66 (billiard). Also surprising was the relative condition.. chamber looked in good shape and the stem didn't have any tooth marks. For $4..why not?
Further examination at home revealed a 3 part C in the stem. Nice! Some Everclear and a few pipe cleaners later.. it seems this pipe had been lightly smoked but certainly not abused. The rim of the bowl doesn't show any charring and the chamber itself looks like it's been reamed before. No cake is present at all but the telltale circular marks are on the walls.

Really the only sign of actual wear is the draft hole.. I can see a very small fissure that may indicate someone gave this pipe a VERY deep cleaning before OR the original owner got heavy handed while cleaning out dottle.
Either way I'm going to give her a good smoking tomorrow.
g9LX0EM.jpg

E9bQQZB.jpg

n3wSCzc.jpg

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
That's the reason I usually pop my head into antique stores, you never know. I have managed to pick up a few decent pipes for cheap but nothing as fine as your Comoy's.
Congratulations!

bluegrassbrian

Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Out of the 20ish antique boutiques in town, this place isn't one that will typically have the odd off-brand Imported Briar with a mangled stem and/or thrice-baked-cake bowl. I've never even seen the usual dusty old pipe rack there.

I guess that's why we always look though.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You have a better class of antique stores, complete with a pipe-naive staff. Four bucks ... uh, uh, uh.

bluegrassbrian

Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
According to the Comoys shape chart, this 66 is a Liverpool.

Packed up a bowl of McClelland CPCC Rich Virginia (with a pinch of 5105), and I can confidently say it is a fine smoker. Clenches well too. Just may be a keeper. :puffy:
vPczPcQ.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.