PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

metarzan

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2012
Twice each year there is an antique festival in my area that spans over 30 miles of country roads. Fields are converted to antique dealer booths and parking lots, and people come from all over the country. Today I will be scanning every nook and cranny for rare, estate briar. Have had decent luck in the years past but mostly I find meer's that "look" expensive and are overpriced. Will be smoking a pipe with an alluring blend to try and attract as much attention to the fact that I am looking for pipes as possible. Got my Eltang t-shirt on and pipe pouch ready to go. Hopefully I will report back after sundown with good news!

metarzan

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2012
Well it didn't take as long as I thought to cover 30 miles of sales but things went pretty much as planned. :( Saw 2 Sultan Head meer's in less than perfect shape without cases for $50 each. Pass. Then saw 3 novelty pipes here and there... Welcome to Arkansas! Peace Pipe. Broken american hardwood nose warmer. Was sippin' H&H Anniversary Kake in a large Nording freehand that I break out for the rare aro. Lot's of compliments and zero complaints or bad looks. Alas all was not lost... Arrived at the homestead to find a package crammed into the mailbox. It was my new Stanwell 2010 Pipe of the Year! Woohoo! The Solani Blend 663 I had hoped to break her in with was on back order so Penzance will just have to do. The silver band needs a little polish being 4 years old but overall feel is light and easy to clench. Also picked up a Sears Silvertone radio for $10. In my spare time I like fixing up old tube radios and reselling them. Usually just replace the caps and plays like new. Sometimes more involved. Nothing like smoking a good bowl while bringing an old radio up to full power! Sorry about the poor pics.

20140419_143820_zps70d4ca3c.jpg

20140419_143711_zps6bcc99d6.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The Stanwell is great. Tube radios, a lot of people feel they have a warmer more modulated sound, and I'm one of them.

Tubes must be getting hard to find. As a kid, I always like looking in the vent holes in the back of tube radios at what

I imagined looked like a little cityscape, a city skyline at night with all the lights burning.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Good looking radio for 10 bucks but I like the pipe better .I like mono tube amps but my goodness a whole system can put of the heat .I am going to date myself but I remember when you could go to the store and they had tube testers and I was the remote control .In 1974 my parents bought a Curtis Mathis color tv with a record player and stereo .We were in high cotton .

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Your classic Sav billiard is stunning and I love the old radio as well. (Ten bucks? You stole that beauty.)
You've had a great day, pal.
Fnord

Status
Not open for further replies.