PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

M

Magnum207

Vintage Meerschaum experts,

Last year, my youngest daughter purchased an antique, estate, Meerschaum pipe for me for Christmas.

The pipe is housed in its original (tan colored) pipe-shaped case which was manufactured with a tiny metal “tab” which when pressed inward, opens the case. Once open, the inside “top” of the case displays an oval shaped label, identifying the manufacturer (suspected) of the pipe. The top portion of the oval label/sticker reads “GENUINE,” and on the bottom, “MEERSCHAUM. ” A horizontal/sideways diamond- shaped outline is between the aforementioned words. Inside this reads, “PHT Co.”.
The pipe is obviously Meerschaum and has been heavily enjoyed by its previous owner(s). The translucent red bit (female) is removed by unscrewing it from the protruding (male), threaded tenon. The bit and stem align perfectly. The pipe is adorned with an ornate, metal band and matching metal cap, covering the top/side/rim of the pipe (not a wind cap). Albeit dull in appearance, a beautiful pipe.

After exhaustive internet searches by my daughter and me, no information, general or specific, whatsoever, could be found in reference to “PHT Co.” Thus, I have no idea the approximate/general date of manufacture, country of origin, etc….
If anyone has any information they could provide, it would be greatly appreciated!

M

Magnum207

Vintage Meerschaum experts,

Last year, my youngest daughter purchased an antique, estate, Meerschaum pipe for me for Christmas.

The pipe is housed in its original (tan colored) pipe-shaped case which was manufactured with a tiny metal “tab” which when pressed inward, opens the case. Once open, the inside “top” of the case displays an oval shaped label, identifying the manufacturer (suspected) of the pipe. The top portion of the oval label/sticker reads “GENUINE,” and on the bottom, “MEERSCHAUM. ” A horizontal/sideways diamond- shaped outline is between the aforementioned words. Inside this reads, “PHT Co.”.
The pipe is obviously Meerschaum and has been heavily enjoyed by its previous owner(s). The translucent red bit (female) is removed by unscrewing it from the protruding (male), threaded tenon. The bit and stem align perfectly. The pipe is adorned with an ornate, metal band and matching metal cap, covering the top/side/rim of the pipe (not a wind cap). Albeit dull in appearance, a beautiful pipe.

After exhaustive internet searches by my daughter and me, no information, general or specific, whatsoever, could be found in reference to “PHT Co.” Thus, I have no idea the approximate/general date of manufacture, country of origin, etc….
If anyone has any information they could provide, it would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 56FAB2A4-E1BC-4E3F-B28A-B7A60BA453B7.jpeg
    56FAB2A4-E1BC-4E3F-B28A-B7A60BA453B7.jpeg
    159.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 1F922F8D-2894-4FED-AF8F-FB5B0C3F0388.jpeg
    1F922F8D-2894-4FED-AF8F-FB5B0C3F0388.jpeg
    226 KB · Views: 23

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Congratulations on getting such a beautiful pipe, all the more special for being a gift from your daughter. Enjoy it in good health.

I’m sorry I don’t have time for a real write up, but in brief I think your pipe was sold by the Peter Hauptmann Tobacco Company (also called P. H. T. Co.). The business was incorporated in 1898 by its founder, a German immigrant named Peter Heinrich Hauptmann (1839-1904), and after his death was led for decades by Heinrich (Henry) Harms (1856-1909) and his sons. P.H.T. Co. was a major wholesaler of “tobacco, cigars, and smokers articles”, the last category definitely including pipes (see a typical invoice below). It was said that the company was “the largest cigar and tobacco jobbing house under one roof” in the entire country. My guess is as one relatively small part of their business (compared to consumables, i.e. tobacco products) they imported meerschaums from Europe, stamped their name on the case, and peddled them to retailers along with the many other items they carried to leverage their distribution channel.

There’s much, much more to be said about Peter Hauptmann and the companies he founded but at least as far as I’m concerned it would have to wait.

Cheers,
Jon

DC2F4F7F-A511-4950-9883-8472425C8570.jpeg

M

Magnum207

Congratulations on getting such a beautiful pipe, all the more special for being a gift from your daughter. Enjoy it in good health.

I’m sorry I don’t have time for a real write up, but in brief I think your pipe was sold by the Peter Hauptmann Tobacco Company (also called P. H. T. Co.). The business was incorporated in 1898 by its founder, a German immigrant named Peter Heinrich Hauptmann (1839-1904), and after his death was led for decades by Heinrich (Henry) Harms (1856-1909) and his sons. P.H.T. Co. was a major wholesaler of “tobacco, cigars, and smokers articles”, the last category definitely including pipes (see a typical invoice below). It was said that the company was “the largest cigar and tobacco jobbing house under one roof” in the entire country. My guess is as one relatively small part of their business (compared to consumables, i.e. tobacco products) they imported meerschaums from Europe, stamped their name on the case, and peddled them to retailers along with the many other items they carried to leverage their distribution channel.

There’s much, much more to be said about Peter Hauptmann and the companies he founded but at least as far as I’m concerned it would have to wait.

Cheers,
Jon

View attachment 107114
Sir,
I would have to believe you completely solved this mystery for both myself and my daughter! I cannot thank you enough for everything you provided. I do not know what a “proper” write-up would be for you, but I believe your “improper” one would exceed anyone’s expectations (for lack of a better word).

Being a “major” cigar, tobacco, etc… wholesaler in the country, I would have expected to “find” something/anything on the internet pertaining to their existence, however, as previously mentioned, NOTHING was found.

Thank You, again, for taking the time to assist me (and I’m sure countless others)!