PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2020
San Diego
I'm going to be going to a large, outdoor event later this month (Tiki Oasis.) but all smoking will be relegated to small areas away from the action. I would like to bring my pipe with me, but that'll force me to choose between smoking my pipe by myself or hanging out and drinking cocktails with friends I don't see much. However, this is the kind of event where it's easy to meet new friends, who will be more than happy to share drinks.

So my question is: What blends do you find strangers and non-smokers are most drawn too? I've had a decent amount of success with Lane 1Q, but just looking to see if I should try anything thing else. Bonus if it will go with strong rum, cinnamon, and grapefruit/lime.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Depends on the strangers. Honestly though I think the best reactions I've gotten on room note are from C&D Corncob Pipe and A Button Nose. Kind of a good but meh blend to smoke. Kind of nothing wrong with it also nothing spectacular either. Though it's a well behaved blend too making it also great for more social smoking. Seriously the cocoa aroma has been known to put smiles on passerbys faces and when I've smoked that I've gotten more your pipe smells great. Seven Seas Royal also has gotten a tone of compliments but not as many, but is a more enjoyable blend for the smoker though dry it out a lot it comes way too wet.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
All I can tell you is what my wife hates the most, since she’s not a fan of the way any blends smell.

She absolutely hates Billy Budd. It’s #1 on her most hated list.
Next is any other Lat blend, followed by any deertongue blends, then aromatics. She seems to complain least about straight Virginias, VaPers, and non-aromatic Burley blends.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
MacBaren Vanilla Roll Cake gets my vote, but there are many. CAO Moontrance, Lane 1Q, P&C Nation's Capital etc. @anotherbob just reminded me, 7 Seas Black Blend should get an honorable mention here too (along with a repeated warning to dry it out first, since your tiki event likely doesn't have flood insurance). Likely anything in the 7 Seas line would be ideal here.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
No strong non-aromatic blends, no Latakia, and nothing too perfumed, would be logical things to avoid. Vanilla is probably okay for most, maybe not cherry (some like it, some gag a little). I'd probably choose Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic, fairly mild, burley based, Virginia as a condiment, and lightly flavored with three liqueurs. If people are going to tolerate tobacco at all, that one is probably okay. Lane LL-7 might suit the non-smokers; I just got tired of its slight over sweetness, that wouldn't go with drinks.

Mtlpiper

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2019
Montreal, QC
I've been complimented on the notes of some of these (which are super rare smokes for me):

- Cult Blood Red Moon
- Solani Tropical Mango Flake
- Eileen's Dream
- Sweet Vanilla Honeydew
- MB's Vanilla Roll Cake

I quite like the smell of G&H Erinmore and Bosun Plug... but I think I might be in the minority.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
It also lingers in the air. I only smoke outside and if I step out an hr after I finish a bowl I can still smell it.
yeah it likes to linger. It's also the only pipe tobacco that has given me a serious ghost. Didn't mind but even after cleaning my pipes it still would show up during a smoke many moons after the last shred of it was used up.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
MacBaren Vanilla Roll Cake gets my vote, but there are many. CAO Moontrance, Lane 1Q, P&C Nation's Capital etc. @anotherbob just reminded me, 7 Seas Black Blend should get an honorable mention here too (along with a repeated warning to dry it out first, since your tiki event likely doesn't have flood insurance). Likely anything in the 7 Seas line would be ideal here.
Seven Seas are pretty good blends. They don't quite hit great but you have to dry the heck out of them first. Typically I open a tin a week before I start smoking it and that takes care of enough moisture Seven Seas requires two weeks in a popped tin to be ready, and ready in this case means leaving it out for a few hours if the humidity ain't killer.

• Love
Reactions: Servant King
Status
Not open for further replies.