PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
I have procrastinated pulling the lever and placing a substantial Esterval’s order. I was primarily waiting for a few more items to come back in stock before ordering. I just checked my longstanding cart and noticed that the total cost had risen by about 30%. I was able to deduce that this was the result of HU tobacco prices rising substantially. Sales and great pricing don’t last forever and there has definitely been price increases everywhere over the last few months. Maybe I should buy some more GLP while SP has it at 15% off...

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have procrastinated pulling the lever and placing a substantial Esterval’s order. I was primarily waiting for a few more items to come back in stock before ordering. I just checked my longstanding cart and noticed that the total cost had risen by about 30%. I was able to deduce that this was the result of HU tobacco prices rising substantially. Sales and great pricing don’t last forever and there has definitely been price increases everywhere over the last few months. Maybe I should buy some more GLP while SP has it at 15% off...
I watched Old Dark Fired's 100g tin go from $12.90/tin to $22.95 overnight six years ago before slightly dropping down. That was long after filling my closet with 15 pounds of it, but still an eye opener.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
What caused such a crazy fluctuation in price? Especially that quick.
Most of their blends jumped at once. Many here at the time assumed it was to bring them up to a more respected company. Most at the time assumed their low prices equated to low quality and only a few of us were fans.

piperRowan

Lurker
Jul 2, 2019
U.S. is cheaper anyway.

I pay a crazy 16 pound sterling for a 50g tin of Peterson's range in UK. It is around $20. Also, 50g pouch old dark fired for £15. No plum pudding for sale since 2012. Plum pudding is wonderful, I wished I could stock more....

• Wow
Reactions: weezell and jpmcwjr

Pipelady20

Can't Leave
Apr 17, 2020
East coast, USA
www.pipesmagazine.com
Do it.

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
Many have said we are in the Golden Age of the tobacco industry, with so many blends available and at a reasonable price. You can buy 1lb of Sutliff 507-C for just north of $30, or you can get the Best of The Rest for about $16 or something, just to name a few. Even in the last two years I've seen some price creep, especially with some of the SPC blends, but it's not substantial to where it doesn't merit a purchase. I can only expect prices to go higher due to the COVID-19 situation, although most tobacco sales are online now so I can also guess they will go up marginally and not drastically. Many here have purchased from Estervals, and myself had wanted to purchase some a while back, but laid out the costs and found it more cost effective to drop the same amount of money and buy blends I know I like with two day shipping than wait weeks if not months for blends I have never tried.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
HU is comparable in quality to......well, anyone, if not better. A 30% increase (due to the end of a ridiculously long standing sale) still puts it in the same price range as other high end tobaccos, if not still cheaper.

If you view HU on the same level as Esoterica, Gawith, etc. (which you should) those sale prices basically paid the shipping for you, as long as you bought 4 or 5 tins.

The extremely low prices on other pipes and tobaccos were just a bonus.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I just checked and confirmed the pricing on HU blends has gone up. For the most part though, is still very reasonably priced even with shipping (assuming you place a large enough order to amortize the shipping cost). I have one more order I will place for a HU blend I want to go deeper on. Then I'm done with them. Given the quality of the HU blends, if I needed more, I'd still buy them.

Reactions: dcon and hawky454

creole

Might Stick Around
Jul 31, 2019
It does not look like the base price of the HU blends has changed but that Estervals is no longer discounting any of them. The Estervals export price indicates a 16% discount which is the current VAT rate in Germany. I agree that these prices still reflect good value for what is some of the best blends available anywhere.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
It may have been as simple as Estervals having a large inventory of HU blends they wanted to move. The newer HU blends were not discounted nearly as much as the older ones. It may also be that the HU guy caught wind of it and put a stop to it. And it could be that the volume/demand rose so much it prompted Estervals to raise the price.

Reactions: rmpeeps

mityahicks

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 18, 2018
German taxes on products are different too. If taxes are raised on tobacco, the tobacco with the old tax stamp sells at the old price.

The product produced after the date change will take on the higher price. At least that is what a Deutch member once posted.