PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathandtaxes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 29, 2014
Indianapolis IN
While away on a business trip earlier this week I was outside the building smoking my pipe when one of the guards struck up a conversation with me. He was a cigar smoker but was genuinely interested in pipes. I went over all of the pros and cons (PAD & TAD) that I had experienced with pipe smoking. He seemed very excited. This morning he flagged me down on my way into the office. Apparently he had spent a good portion of Tuesday evening researching pipes and pipe tobaccos. I answered everything that I could and referred him to the forum. As I was leaving to come back home he approached me again to ask for my opinion on some pipe starter kits that he had found on a couple of websites. They were decent deals, but included tobaccos that I had never tried so I really couldn't comment on them. Before I left I told him that I had a few pipes that I may be willing to part with if he was really interested. I'm set to meet up with him next weekend, I told him I would let him sample some of my tobacco stock, as he really isn't sure what he wants. I did tell him about the pipe program the forum has to offer as well. Thought I'd share! :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
He was lucky to encounter someone with a knowledge base to help him get started in pipe smoking.

Starter kits are fine, but I think venturing out and putting together your own initial pipe, tool, tobacco,

pipe cleaners, and matches/lighter, is a good way to learn about the equipment. You can end up with

some things you don't want, or want to replace, but if you choose each item, at least your learn along

the way. Just trying to explain filters -- yes, no, maybe -- takes time.

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
Learn by doing! We all make mistakes with pipes and tobaccos but over time those miscues give us a base to build on. A starter kit, maybe but most of us probably did without one. If he wants one you might steer him to The Pipe Guys website. They have a good entry on how to smoke a pipe and they offer a starter kit. I don't know what it contains, but they seem like very solid folks, and I would be shocked if it contains a brylon pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.