PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
Can't find much about this model. Shalom Pipe Factory, yes. A Danish craftsman named Muki Liebermann, yes. I know Shalom used a reproducing machine, which would carve several pipes using a metal model and a pantograph. Some of these I've seen online, including those marked "Freehand" and those with acrylic stems, have the Alpha "A" on the stem. Is the 'Freehand' model really a hand pipe, or is it, too, machine-made?
Mine is sandblast, and wonderfully so. Very dark red, nearly black. Shape gives a nod to bulldog and belge, with flared diamond shank. Plateau on top and shank, both cut at a steep angle, which I adore. Concave conical divot in the shank, so tenon hole is recessed. Deep red-brown stain. Gray pearl stem, with no "A." Smooth side on shank stamped only "Freehand" and "Israel," the latter stamped poorly, only " ael" really readable.
This came from the same lot as the Ben Wade I posted about; I now have that, this, and two Sorens, my four favorites from that lot.
This side shows the steep bowl & shank cutaways:

fKdokPI.jpg

Other side, these don't show the red/brown well:

AMkO62P.jpg

Unrelate to the question, but regarding the lot, here are the Soren pipes from it.
This one is roughly a sitter, with the stem touching the table, though it wobbles a bit:

wcb0gjc.jpg

Not a sitter but a stander, 'smoosh' base, has a carved branch or hand shape on one side. Both have these two 'points' on the rear of the bowl:

hoF4gO0.jpg

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
Thanks. I'm more of a collector. But I tend to smoke cased tobacco, so I'm NOT going to smoke it, in hopes that when I sell it someday, it won't carry a ghost. All of these seem to have good drilling and draw. The stander is the widest and shallowest, only about 1 1.2" deep, and wide enough to fit my thumb (I'm not Marty Pulvers, but trust me, that's wide).

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Yeah, Soren has/had a couple of really nice stander shapes, one of which I had & really REALLY regret having given away. There's been one just like it on a shiny place recently. I'm a big fan of oddball Danish shapes & consequently Soren's always been a go-to for me.
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.