PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kylef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2018
Cape Ann, MA USA
Hi all,
So, I'm 51, and have been smoking a pipe for just a couple years. I've been lurking here a while, and decided to join.
Prior to my pipe, I had virtually no experience with tobacco--never smoked a cigarette, never chewed, and tried a cigar once and hated it.
So, why did I take up a pipe? Well, I've always like the smell of a pipe, and when I was a kid in the 70's, I had a few uncles and family friends who smoked pipes, and have fond memories of that. Also, I'm a huge fan of C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien...as well as Peter Cushing, Lee Van Cleef, the Shackleton expedition, and virtually every hero of 50's sci-fi movies. :)
I've been experimenting the last couple of years to see what I like, and I've tried about 15 tobaccos. I guess I'm not that discriminating, because I've liked almost every one that I've tried. I think I lean more towards aromatics, but I've liked the English and Virginias too.
My favorites so far would be:
Peter Stokkebye:
Golden Dansk

Black Dansk
MacBaren:
Seven Seas Regular
Orlik:
Dark Strong Kentucky
I appreciate all the knowledge and experience of the folks here, and I'm learning a lot.

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
There was the original meerschaum, lee van cleef smoked in a few dollars more , on eBay not so long ago
Cool pipe

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Welcome to the forums Kyle. I'm 59, never smoked anything except some weed in high school. Started pipe smoking about 8 months ago.

cwpiperman

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2018
Welcome to the forums Kyle. I'm 59, never smoked anything except some weed in high school. Started pipe smoking about 8 months ago.
Welcome indeed Kyle! 61 yesterday and I had never smoked ANYTHING prior to starting pipe smoking 4mo ago. These folks are the BEST, and I've enjoyed the journey immensely. Since you seem to like what ye tried, consider packin' ye some Cornell & Diehl Black Frigate. She's a mighty good smoke and no mistake, an' we could use another hand ta' be swabbin' the decks an' mannin' th' guns. Ain't that right, Cap'n????????
CW

kylef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2018
Cape Ann, MA USA
Thanks for the welcome and responses, folks.
Oh, that Lee Van Cleef pipe sounds pretty cool, although I imagine it would be a little more expensive than my Missouri Meerschaum hardwood. :)
Arghh, I may indeed have to try that Black Frigate, matey! I'm on the North Shore of Massachusetts, and a lot of the early fortunes in these towns came from privateering. Quite an interesting history.
Wow, interesting that there a number of folks here who took up pipe smoking later in life, like me.

techie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2018
Welcome! I just started the pipe 3 months ago and am enjoying it. I did smoke cigarettes for 20 years and quit about 25 years ago - one of the best things I've ever done for myself. I didn't smoke anything until I started to explore cigars about 10 years later. I really enjoyed the cigars but it got way too expensive for me.
Lots to learn here and everyone is very helpful.

kylef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2018
Cape Ann, MA USA
Thanks, guys. I do find myself facing one problem, though.
For health concerns, I only smoke about 3-4 bowls a month. I'm so intrigued by all the varieties of pipe tobacco, though, that I'm trying a whole bunch of them. I have four unopened tins, plus another 8 or 9 1oz samples. At the rate I'm going, I think I have about a five year supply!
And now I have to try Black Frigate. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.