PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

orvet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2023
Willamette Valley of Oregon
I smoked pipes for 30 years and quit around 2000 when Capstan Medium was no longer available in the US.
I am now caregiver for my wife who is ill. A couple of weeks ago she started asking me about what pipe tobacco I smoked and I told her Capstan Medium. About 5 days ago a package arrived for her. I gave her the package and she said "Oh that's for you."
In it was a can of Capstan Medium flake. She said that she knew my pipes relaxed me and she thought I should take them up again.

I still have most of my pipe collection, mostly English pipes, Comoros and GBDs with a couple dozen others, Larsen, Chacon, Sasieni, Stanwells and so forth.
I do have a few cans of tobacco that I was aging. Most of them from the 1980s, though I lost a couple of cans due to rust. I have a can of Cut Golden Bar from about 1987 that I'm going to crack open before long. The seal seems to be good so it should be tasty. I have been looking for other Virginia flakes and I found one of my old favorites Escudo is available once again so I ordered a can of that along with more Capstan blue. I also ordered some of Stokebye's bulk Virginias and am looking forward to trying them. Peter always made good tobacco. I managed a small chain of tobacco stores in Oregon in the 1980s until about 1992. Peter Stokebye loved to come to Oregon and it was always good to see him in the store or at the RTDA show.
I am impressed with the depth of knowledge that many of the members here have shown in some in their posts. Perhaps someone knows if State Express roundels are still available? I have not been able to locate them but that was a fine Virginia and perque mixture back in the day.
The Captain blue I am smoking is very similar to what was available before 2000 but I think it has not quite as much age to it. Does anyone else remember the old Capstan blue?

I see a couple of members are on the Oregon coast, I am in the Willamette Valley. Look forward to hearing from some fellow pipe smokers. There aren't nearly as many people who smoke pipes as they were in the 1970 to 1990s!

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
Welcome, from the Oregon coast. Eugene is just over the mountains for me, although I tend to stick to the coast and rarely venture inland unless I have to.

Reactions: orvet