PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
These Latakia Rolls intrigue me, but as of late latakia has been the last thing on my mind when i go to fill up a pipe. I think I'll sit this one out. Have at it, boys!
I went through that for about 6 months. Just came out the other side though. I think its just one of those varietals that if you smoke too much too regularly it becomes all you taste.

Dark Fired is the same way for me. After a nice break though, I’m enjoying lat blends again.

More sensitivity to both has given me the silver lining of appreciating them when used condimentally even more though. 5% of either can really make a VA or VA/Or sing.

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
The tin art alone makes me want to buy a few, but I'm passing. Why not just add some straight Latakia to regular McB Roll Cake and call it good?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
A curious note in the review of "Latakia Blend".

Notes: Introduced in 1964. NOTE: This long-time blend is no longer in production because of the relatively low amount of latakia in it. However, the company has plans to re-name it and release the excellent blend again.

Reactions: Ted Vig

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland

Notes: Introduced in 1964. NOTE: This long-time blend is no longer in production because of the relatively low amount of latakia in it. However, the company has plans to re-name it and release the excellent blend again.
Interestingly the description says Syrian Latakia, something also mentioned in @jiminks's review from 2015, could it be they still add a smidgen of Syrian Latakia in these rolls?

Reactions: JimInks and Ted Vig

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019

The new stuff lists DFK as an ingredient alongside a "significant" percentage of latakia. Also doesn't list black Cavendish whereas the older blend does.

Reactions: Ted Vig and 3rdguy

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Interestingly the description says Syrian Latakia, something also mentioned in @jiminks's review from 2015, could it be they still add a smidgen of Syrian Latakia in these rolls?
Not sure, but they were still using Syrian in Plum Cake and The Solent mixture well into 2016.

The new stuff lists DFK as an ingredient alongside a "significant" percentage of latakia. Also doesn't list black Cavendish whereas the older blend does.
Either reformulated or totally new. Significant absolutely keeps me from buying it. Just one more lat bomb.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska

Hahaha that was my theory as I mentioned above! But we’ll see...

Status
Not open for further replies.