PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Some of you may know/recall that I have been looking for a decent green Color Duke Dr. Grabow for some time. I've looked at all the usual places, and they are either way over priced, or completely destroyed.

I spotted a green one on eBay that had a hole blown out of it and made a thread about it.

Yikes! This is a burn out!. <--- link

Anyway, in the thread a very generous member, @Swampdragon69 mentioned he had one, and offered to send it to me. In addition to the green color, he also had a red one.

Through a very scenic and leisurely postal journey, I was able to finally get the package the other day. He sent the green one *and* the red one. They are both in incredible shape, and will probably only need a good cleaning to look brand new.

While I know the color is polarizing, I think we can all agree that this was an amazing gesture of generosity and kindness.

Matt, thank you!

On to my awful pics:

P_20210124_121109.jpgP_20210124_121118.jpg

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Mike,
There’s a unique, unsmoked White Briar Kaywoodie currently listed on Blue Room Briars.
View attachment 62068
If colored Briars are your thing. I think this was a Christmas ? Pipe FYI - Jim
Looks good, but I'm saving my schillings for something else I have in mind.

I think the reservations on Dr. Grabow pipes are based entirely on price.
I agree, I've never read a negative review of a Grabow. Wasn't there some story of a high end pipe collector that said they smoke just as well as his Grabow?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Looks good, but I'm saving my schillings for something else I have in mind.

I agree, I've never read a negative review of a Grabow. Wasn't there some story of a high end pipe collector that said they smoke just as well as his Grabow?
The newer ones I've purchased have had edges on that metal tenon that have chewed up the inside of the mortise, but ones pre 2000 are great. As far as smoking, they're just as good as any artisan piece I own.

Swampdragon69

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 16, 2019
Some of you may know/recall that I have been looking for a decent green Color Duke Dr. Grabow for some time. I've looked at all the usual places, and they are either way over priced, or completely destroyed.

I spotted a green one on eBay that had a hole blown out of it and made a thread about it.

Yikes! This is a burn out!. <--- link

Wow. Just wow. Stoked for ya. Keep posting your chinese pipe reviews and these gifts will come piling in ;)
Wait a Second! Those used to be mine! I am the Swampdragon. I felt really bad for Mike. I thought that he had a burnout. I did not like that style of Doctor. Got them both cheap at a Flea market. Both unsmoked when I bought them. Smoked the green one once. I just missed to sign-up for the Secret Santa ?? on here. I offered them for trade not thinking that he was out of country. We managed to work it out. I got my trade from South Carolina Just before Christmas. It took a lot longer to get to the Great White North.
Anyway, in the thread a very generous member, @Swampdragon69 mentioned he had one, and offered to send it to me. In addition to the green color, he also had a red one.

Through a very scenic and leisurely postal journey, I was able to finally get the package the other day. He sent the green one *and* the red one. They are both in incredible shape, and will probably only need a good cleaning to look brand new.

While I know the color is polarizing, I think we can all agree that this was an amazing gesture of generosity and kindness.

Matt, thank you!

On to my awful pics:

View attachment 62031View attachment 62032

Reactions: edger