PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

noctivagant

Lurker
May 30, 2018
Harrisonburg VA
Fred Bass Horn
Inspired by Anthony's wonderful claw pick up, I checked out the Fred Bass Estate pipes still up on eBay. I settled on this wonderful horn shape, partly because I've always wanted a horn pipe and partly because it looked to have some coloring. It's a beautiful pipe in person and shows much more color than the eBay listing or my shoddy photography leads one to believe. I'm currently running a nice bowl of Dunbar through it as the chamber is around 2" deep and I figured she'd be a Virginia smoker.
Fred sure did know how to pick a pipe. I'll be burning this one in his memory, hopefully for a long time.

Jan 8, 2013
Inspired by Anthony's wonderful claw pick up,
I'm an enabler even when I don't try :mrgreen: I've been smoking the heck out of mine. It smokes like a dream. Yours is a lovely meer! Congratulations. It looks to be coloring quite interestingly too! Enjoy the heck out of it! :clap:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Very lovely choice. :clap:
0tBfze9_d.webp

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Enjoy your new acquisition. It's a lovely pipe.
Fred did have a nice collection, but I think the ebay seller is asking to much for them. I've noticed a few have come down in price a bit, but most are overpriced in my opinion, but that's just me. That's probably why they've been listed on ebay for months and months.

noctivagant

Lurker
May 30, 2018
Harrisonburg VA
Thanks for well-wishes. I smoked my first bowl out of it last night, some Dunbar I opened for filling a box pass earlier in the day. It was a fine tobacco and with the depth of the chamber was a good 1.5 hour smoke. I could really feel the flavor building after the first 20 minutes and it kept building all the way down. That said, there's better VaPers out there and I'm not sure Esoterica chasing is in my future as none of them have been earth shattering.

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
I'm in love with some of Fred's pipes, especially the hatching dragon (I have the same model, but his is white vs. my golden and the carving is even better) and I agree some of them are a bit overpriced. I'll never be able to afford the dragon, even if I sold mine.

Jan 8, 2013
especially the hatching dragon (I have the same model, but his is white vs. my golden and the carving is even better) and I agree some of them are a bit overpriced. I'll never be able to afford the dragon, even if I sold mine.
Never say never, Jonas. I never would have thought I'd be able to afford what I paid for my hatching dragon meer but I did it anyway! :mrgreen:
Here's mine
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/o-fortuna-the-quest-for-the-dragon-meer-with-pictures

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Salsa Cookies!

Windmill Cookies!
:rofl:
I remember that thread and the pipe. Still amazed by that dragon.

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
Thanks. The thing is, I already have one version of that pipe. Buying another version, even though I like it more, just isn't an option. If I had the choice, I'd replace mine with the Fred Bass one. Yours is spectacular, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.