PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

piffyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2015
If The Doodler that I recently posted strained your boundaries of acceptable aesthetics, maybe this one will be more to your liking. It’s a simple Pipeworks Canadian with some subtle shaping elements that I think make it unique.
Pipeworks began in the early 80s when pipe maker, Elliott Nachwalter, and his then wife, tobacconist, Carol Burns, bought the old Wilke Pipe Shop in New York City. The business would operate there for at least a decade before the couple moved to Vermont.
I’m not sure if Nachwalter actually had a hand in the making of this pipe though. The shaping suggests, to me at least, some of the Nachwalter DNA. However, a good friend of mine that has collected many Nachwalter pipes believes that these pipes were produced by a third party, possibly Weber, for sale in the Maddison Avenue shop. There’s certainly a case to be made for that, since Elliott Nachwalter’s name isn’t present anywhere on the pipe and the stem material is not what I would expect from his work (more on that below). Still, I keep coming back to that shape...
D93zh70.jpg

ZFRl3H2.jpg

PBm77wn.jpg

fEYOgNo.jpg

IUpGtkW.jpg

piffyr

Apr 24, 2015
I suppose the figuring of the briar doesn’t really fit the technical definition of “good grain”. The grain on the cross-cut bowl is somewhat “twisted,” for lack of a better word, leaving some dead-ish areas near the bottom. The pipe is very finely grained though, and in my experience, all that’s required to bring those areas to life is a little attention. The Pipeworks was no exception.
xdFcaQ3.jpg

nHlcbJu.jpg

ml0Pika.jpg

DeSXRBG.jpg

GppBgoS.jpg

XvihjdJ.jpg

Now, about that stem… I’m not really sure how well this will come through on your screen, but if you can see the tiny speckles all over the surface, that’s not dust (well,.. some of it probably is). It’s actually minuscule clumps of sulfur powder that didn’t properly mix during the vulcanization process. I’ve encountered this before, but mostly on lower-end pipes. The stem itself is fine and does what a stem is supposed to do, but I may still replace it at some point if it doesn’t stop triggering my OCD.
By the way, here are the specs of the pipe for anyone interested…
Weight: 44g / 1.55 oz.

Length: 156mm / 6.125 in.

Bowl height: 51mm / 2 in.

Bowl width: 52mm / 2 in.

Chamber diameter: 19mm / .75 in.

Chamber depth: 43mm / 1.7 in.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Your refurb skills really made the pipe come alive. You would seem to get some of your pipes at a very affordable price. I'm jealous!

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
That stummel is a winner!

Whoever made it did a terrific job methinks.
That stem though.. yeugh.

When stems have that "pinch" instead of a straight taper it really bugs me. Makes it look cheap to me.

I think that pipe deserves a better stem.

Lovely job on the referb too.

piffyr

Apr 24, 2015
@bluegrassbrian -- I'm in total agreement about the stem. It's even worse when the hourglass shape is used on a stem this short. One more reason to replace. I just couldn't take anymore time futzing about with this one. Some later date probably.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Beautiful rework, piffy. I did see the tiny dots, but I wouldn't have noticed had you not mentioned it. Great refurbishing, though.

piffyr

Apr 24, 2015
Thanks for the kind words, gentlemen.
BTW, I put the wrong dimensions down for the bowl width. That should be 39mm / 1.5 in. My bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.