PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I wanted to share this estate find I fell into while we were in Tennessee. The photos were taken in the truck right after I got it.
photo1-7.jpg

photo3-6.jpg

photo1-8.jpg

photo2-7.jpg

photo4-4.jpg

Soon after getting it I noticed a very small hair-line crack on t he underside of the shank but it doesn't seem to affect it at all. I've only smoked it a few times so far but there are definitely no complaints: cool, dry, and good draw. For the enormous sum that I paid for it ($10) I can live with a small crack and that yellow stem! :puffy:

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
It does :D I need to get me some white/clear beeswax for it and the new Storient. I have the "natural" yellowish but don't think that is the proper stuff to use, is it?

crk69

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2012
Nice meer Greg... I would say go with the white beeswax.. Congrats and enjoy the new pipe...

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
Greg if that is an African block Meerschaum as it appears to be in your photos I don't think you should apply beeswax to the finish.I have several African Meers and have never applied beeswax to any of them. The block is not as porous as Turkish Meerschaum. Where is Storient when You need him?

seakayak

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2010
A great meer at a fantastic price! Sometimes we get lucky. That pipe was loved by its former owner. Treat it equally well and it will serve you for years to come. The location and size of the shank crack say it shouldn't be a major problem.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Great find! I think if you put white beeswax on it then it might affect the beautiful coloring on it. Because it looks so shiny from the pictures it doesn't look like it needs any.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
I am in no way a meer expert but that sorta does look like an African meer. In that case I believe I would follow Keith's advice. He know's his stuff, especially when it comes to African meers. I don't think the wax will hurt it but it definitely wont get the benefit of a wax like a Turkish meer would. As for the Storient meer, I have used the white beeswax on my #11 with great results. I haven't applied any wax or smoked my PM meer yet.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Good snag, Greg. I know nothing about meers, but even with that yellow stem, it's a lovely pipe. That bowl is coloring beautifully and I hope it continues to be a great smoker for you.
That said, could somebody give me a short discourse on the beeswax? I put on the yellow stuff our good friend, Beewrangler, sent me to tighten stems, but do you guys smear the white beeswax on your bowls? How come?
And if nobody objects to one more question, why meer over briar?

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Yavuz told me that the color of the beeswax can color the pipe that color. Although it it is brown I doubt yellow beeswax would change the color much. If you have a rather white pipe then you would want to use the white beeswax or it would look a little yellow.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I honestly don't know of its African or not; how can I tell?
It feels smooth-ish except for on the front, so I thought the wax may have worn off. I'm not in any hurry to do anything to it so ill wait until I know for sure and have what I need. I'm holding them both (especially the Storient) by the stem when I smoke them to keep them free of smudges, etc.
Here's a photo if the crack. I took it to keep track of if it worsens.
photo-9.jpg

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Super glue- intriguing thought.
I have/am thinking if having it banded. I just wasn't sure if that was a good idea on a meer.

Status
Not open for further replies.