PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Hello All,

Sorry for bugging you all so much with pipe info threads lately, I'm just eternally curious. I know there are a few Comoy's geeks lurking here so I'm hoping some may be able to confirm a date range for this Grand Slam patent restoration project I picked up. The pics aren't great but they show most of the nomenclature. The only piece you can't see in the pics is the US patent number (very faded), which is on the same side of the shank as the shape number to the left of the also quite faded "Made in London" (circle with "In" inside) over "England" (Straight line) in the pic with the shape # as well. Stem has 3 piece inset C.

From reading pipedia's guide and some older threads here I think this puts the pipe somewhere between 1945 and 1953 but I am not sure so just looking for a little confirmation and/or any more specificity or best guesses anyone may have. Will post restoration pics when the job is done. Thanks all!

Reactions: lightmybriar

OlrikFan

Lurker
Oct 27, 2019
Hi, that will turn out a really nice piece once cleaned and buffed. I just bought a grand slam and your research corresponds with mine. Interestingly enough mine has a french patent (brevete sgdg) that isn’t mentioned anywere, but the french patents expired after 20 years, so it’s the same chronology, ‘45 - 55.
Can’ t show the stamps, unfortunately, they were just about readable. But the Comoy stamp is exactly like yours.
I guess congrats to us both for getting a great pipe ?

Attachments

• DA48C643-5F5A-4B07-BEC3-4304F57E6EE4.jpeg
    DA48C643-5F5A-4B07-BEC3-4304F57E6EE4.jpeg
    161.8 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: lightmybriar
Status
Not open for further replies.