PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
My local PO has a building-side-sized banner saying help wanted, and they hang doorknob thingies around the neighborhood regularly saying they start at $19/hr.

That's $40K/year.

Not riches in 2022, but not bad for a no experience needed type of job, either.

I asked my USPS carrier what was up with that (known him 10 years), and he said today's kids want to get rich on social media as "creators".

The question then becomes: If the same state of affairs exists in areas outside the PO, the USofA is in for some interesting times. Little details like electrical power grids, water systems, sewage systems, roads, bridges, building construction, and so forth require humans to function.

Consumer products might be "outsource-able" to Asia, but not those things.

The double whammy is how someone FEELS about math and engineering and science doesn't mean squat. Physics doesn't care about emotion. But touchy-feely-ness and sensitivity is the new social currency.

The net result? The schools that offer degrees in such things must steadily lower the bar to keep classrooms full.

Read about the Boeing 737 MAX airliner debacle for a taste of what THAT attitude/approach results in.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
My local PO has a building-side-sized banner saying help wanted, and they hang doorknob thingies around the neighborhood regularly saying they start a $19/hr.

That's $40K/year.

Not riches in 2022, but not bad for a no experience needed type of job, either.

I asked my USPS carrier what was up with that (known him 10 years), and he said today's kids want to get rich on social media as "creators".

The question then becomes: If the same state of affairs exists in areas outside the PO, the USofA is in for some interesting times. Little details like electrical power grids, water systems, sewage systems, roads, bridges, building construction, and so forth require humans to function.

Consumer products might be "outsource-able" to Asia, but not those things.

The double whammy is how someone FEELS about math and engineering and science doesn't mean squat. Physics doesn't care about emotion. But touchy-feely-ness and sensitivity is the new social currency.

The net result? The schools that offer degrees in such things must steadily lower the bar to keep classrooms full.

Read about the Boeing 737 MAX airliner debacle for a taste of what THAT attitude/approach results in.
cost of living really. Seriously look at what a piece of shit one room apartment or even studio apartment costs. God the only affordable places are in horrible places. Or at least that's part of it. I remember rejecting part time job offers and getting this attitude from the prospective employer. Like sorry I have to pay for shelter and food and your job isn't go to do that. Kind of makes it not worth while. But yeah way easier to blame the kids and say they're all the same. As if there is a single one of us that didn't know someone who wanted the easy way out. All that's changed is the scheme not the people.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I work for an Engineering firm with offices in all lower 48 states, Canada and the Middle East. We do everything from dams, roads, waste water...you name it. Our office has a bridge group that also does inspections. To hear the stories and see the pictures from some of their inspections is frightening. All these guys can do is submit their findings with recommendations and hope for the best. It is up to the state to take action which in most cases is no action at all. In hind sight, the state should have shut the bridge down if the inspection report deemed the bridge condition as poor. Unfortunately the engineers do not have that authority.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Unfortunately, this will be forgotten about within the next 6 months or so, until the next catastrophe.

I used to drive across this bridge 2x a day on my way to and from work.

I-35W Mississippi River bridge - Wikipedia

Crossed it for the last time an hour before it collapsed. There were a lot of bridges that collapsed beforehand, and while this event was still fresh a lot of discussion on the state of bridges, inspections, methods of construction, etc. The wreckage sat fenced off in a riverside park for a few years until it was finally all carted away.

A bridge in neighboring St. Paul, MN built about the same time and of similar construction was demolished and rebuilt soon after.

After a few years the subject seemed to fade away. The last big public works construction boom came to an end in the 1970's. Time is running out and the clock is ticking...

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Crossed it for the last time an hour before it collapsed.

Must be a pipesmoker/KevinBoard thing. lol

I actually saw this in my rearview mirror.

It was about a quarter mile back (I was westbound, and the land rises going into the mountains so sightlines are long), so it wasn't like I got hit by flying junk or anything, but 15 seconds is still too close for comfort.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Must be a pipesmoker/KevinBoard thing. lol

I actually saw this in my rearview mirror.

It was about a quarter mile back (I was westbound, and the land rises going into the mountains so sightlines are long), so it wasn't like I got hit by flying junk or anything, but 15 seconds is still too close for comfort.
I got home, mowed the lawn, went inside and turned on the news, and there was a close up of a semi trucking burning with the caption "bridge collapse"... I was stupefied when they mentioned Minneapolis.