PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Almost anything you can buy here, and the selection is minimal compared to what you can get in the States, is $50/tin. When it comes to variation and price, you guys have no clue how good you have it.
That's why when someone remarks about how SP or P&C raised their prices, there is a communal chuckle from Canadian members. Its still like a quarter of the price.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome aboard. Plenty of Canadians here, in addition to members in New Zealand, The Netherlands, Germany, and other nations. A cosmopolitan crew. The tobacco prices there would moderate my pipe smoking even more. However you do have Blatter and Blatter in Montreal, out east. Might nice pipes.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
$50/$60 a tin?
That's cheap here in Toronto.
I like Mac Baren Golden extra. SPC price $11.88. My local B&M price $68.
After paying for the difference in USD/CDN and shipping, two tins show up in my mailbox for $50 CDN. Two tins purchased locally would be $136.
Don't you just love parasitic leeches government?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
At those rates of expropriation taxation, smuggling seems o.k. I guess expropriation is the wrong word, as one is not forced to buy pipe tobacco to survive.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
Yes at these prices I don't smoke all that much, usually just a bowl in the evening while walking the dog. I must confess to some considerable eye-rolling when people south of the border complain about "high prices"...
Thanks again for the warm welcome everyone.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
About a hundred years ago Alberta was marketed as “The Next Best West” to try and get homesteaders to settle down here (apparently it worked, Saskatchewan has about 1/3 the population of Alberta),
That probably has more to do with it being too complicated to tell people you're from Sackat...Sestact...Catsas....Taskata.......aww, screw it, let's keep going until we hit Alberta.
Skip to 2:55. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92ULsS7Ts3g

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Hello from Alberta Austin, Texas. To this point, none of the Canadians on the forum have been annoying to me. But don't worry. There is still time!
That's why when someone remarks about how SP or P&C raised their prices, there is a communal chuckle from Canadian members. Its still like a quarter of the price.
It's our consolation prize for not getting $400 SVT-40's like you guys. They are $1200+ in the US.
jay-roger.jpg

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Never,ever could imagine that winters in Canada can get that cold,and we here in Finland are supposed to be accustomed to colder weathers,yet I been told Summers in Alberta region are usually hot, and now,have My Best Greets Sir and Be Welcome,

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
Weather in Alberta has some pretty extreme contrasts for sure, +30°C in the summer and -30°C in the winter is fairly normal, and the change in between is often abrupt, the beginning of September often sees the daytime temps go from mid 20s down to -5 to -10 within a week. Jaytex, SKS for $279, Mosin for $179, surplus crate of 1500 rounds $379, at local Canadian Tire stores.

cajomu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 15, 2018
Welcome, canucklehead.
I've a softspot in my heart for the Great White North because it's the home of the world's greatest sport -- ice hockey.
As for the price of pipe tobacco in Canada, I think it ironic that, while the authorities try to snuff out pipe smoking (pun intended), they have legalized the smoking of another popular herbs in pipes.

slownumbers39

Can't Leave
Jul 29, 2012
Welcome to the forum canucklehead, from a fellow Canuck and Albertan :puffy: . There are quite a few of us on here.

brassmonkey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2018
Welcome aboard from New Zealand where we also understand the pain of very high taxes on 'baccy

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
As for the price of pipe tobacco in Canada, I think it ironic that, while the authorities try to snuff out pipe smoking (pun intended), they have legalized the smoking of another popular herbs in pipes.

A political move to impinge even more on civil freedoms, but we'd better not get into that here and ruin the welcome.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Funny, when I saw the title on this thread, I thought someone was having trouble with their Canadian shape pipe. One of my favorite shapes, and what I call the stateliest shape. I always feel I should correct my posture when packing a Canadian.

Status
Not open for further replies.