Anniversary Kake Has Me Confused About Perique.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

futureman

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2011
Ohio (Displaced Central Texan)
On the recommendation of several of you, I purchased and received Ross's AK from P&C. I absolutely love this stuff, but I confess I'm confused about the role the perique plays here. The description says the blend contains a "good amount" of perique, yet my experience with the blend is far different from what I experienced with (for example) Solani's 'Virginia and Perique.' The latter was far too harsh for me (although I smoked it fresh out of the tin).
So here is my question: is AK representative of Va/Per blends? Or is this particular blend processed in a way that yields something different from what most Va/Per smokers seek (which I always assumed was some form of peppery or spicy tobacco flavor)?

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Anniversary Kake, while delectable, is not representative of VaPer blends. A very unique flavor that only gets better and smoother over time. Anni Kake has a much more plummy, stewed-fruity, rather than peppery flavor.

andypandy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2013
Oslo, Norway
Anything that comes close to Anniversary Kake's plum and stewed fruit thingy in other blends? P&C doesn't ship out of USA...
Does Haddo's delight share some similarities?(G. L. Pease)

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
4noggins' Prairie Wind might scratch the same itch that Anni Kake does. Its shows Perique's dark fruity side too.

It's a popular, economical bulk, and Rich ships internationally.
For info on Perique check out Russ Ouellette's Passionate About Perique, and also The Mystique of Perique.
Roth, I'd be willing to bet Haddo's has a liqueur topping, and my guess would be ginger.

Now, I probably should have mentioned Cairo as an interesting alternative VaPer.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
+1 on Roth's recommend of Marlin Flake.
I'll throw out an oddball recommend: McClelland St James Woods. The Perique flavor here is more pepper than plum. But the McClelland Virginias give it some tang that might appeal to you. This one needs to age. But the McClelland VaPers always tasted a bit thick and jammy to me. Not a direct AK comparison, but in the ball park in as much as AK is truly a unique blend.

futureman

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2011
IMO, Anniversary Kake is unique, but I also smoke and cellar Rattray's Marlin Flake. Marlin Flake does indeed have some of those plum and stewed fruit flavors, more so than most other blends with Perique.
This is on my list to try next. I love Old Gowrie, and for the same reasons I'm enjoying Anniversary Kake. I imagine this will be a winner for me as well.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
Rothnh,
If you like Perique you won't be disappointed. If I had any left I would send you a sample. Now that I think of it I should reorder too! You guys are such enablers lol

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
AK is all hype, nothing special going on there. Especially after a year, when the VA's just get all dark and sweet with the spicy plum warming it up. Yeah people need to stay away from this, I mean at $23 a pound how good can it be. ;)
Got a cellar order in from P&C today (10AM Thursday) I placed at 11PM Monday. Haddo's 16oz is back so picked that up along with few MC2015 and a little PS EOS(in Roth's honor)... a few more back-ordered pounds of AK. Going to need to make a trip to Ace and get a few more flats of jars to handle the box when AK is back in town. I think P&C's whole next re-stock of AK will be nothing but back-order fills.
Craig

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
We've placed a large order of the top-sellers in H&H, especially Anni Kake, but the cakes take longer to process than the mixtures. We'll get caught up soon, but the orders keep on coming...thanks!
Russ

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
As always Russ I'll wait for my back orders, I love you guys give the option to do that. Any news on when your Lakeland brickle will be back in stock?

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
I made a run of both Lakeland Brickles earlier this week, and I'll be able to make more next week. The only problem with doing them is that I smell like roses and cloves for a couple of days afterward.
Russ

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
I'm a little confused then, if you made more and I have had some on back order for a bit over a month, shouldn't I have got a message saying it was in stock or something? Also, smelling like clove and roses isn't a problem in my opinion!

futureman

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2011
Rather than starting a new thread about AK, let me just reiterate Roth's assessment of this blend. It's really fantastic, and I've been smoking it almost exclusively the last few days. I'm not terribly good at identifying specific flavors in tobacco (same with wine), but AK is a sweeter Virgina blend with a subtle Cinnamon-like spice (as opposed to the peppery punch of most Va/Per blends). Great with coffee in the morning, and great at night for a relaxing, contemplative smoke. A delicious all-around blend that makes my mouth water. I don't stock much. But this will be the first blend of which I buy several pounds.

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
I agree with Perique that St. James Woods from McClelland has a more peppery taste. This blend is my favorite VaPer.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
future, I am very surprised to hear you thought Solani 633 was harsh. I smoke it fresh and aged and it is always a very smooth sweet smoke for me. How many bowls have you smoked of it and how did you prepare it? I only cube cut the 633 or fold and stuff, I never rub it out. Also what size pipe did you use and what shape, this could also be a factor. I would not give up on 633 too quickly, it is one of my top 4 Vapers. When aged a decade, the Perique is definitely more peppery than when fresh.
I tried the Anny Kake and while I enjoyed the flavor, the amount of red virginia in it blistered my tongue, damn reds.

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
Hey Andy, you will like this: http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/HearthandHome/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=78979
They ship internationally.

Status
Not open for further replies.