PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

coyja

Can't Leave
Feb 10, 2018
Spinning ball of dirt
JQEyUd9.jpg

First meer. Altinay, its a beautifully put together little nose warmer.
Smokes really well and cool. Arrived in less than three days.
Now I'm terrified of dropping the thing.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Don't worry too much. I've dropped several in my hot tub and swimming pool to no ill effect..?

BTW, congrats. That's a really nice looking pipe. Love the stem color and the pipe color as well.

Soon the rim will take on a very pretty dark shiny glazed look. The chamber walls will to but to a lesser extent if you keep it clean.

coyja

Can't Leave
Feb 10, 2018
Spinning ball of dirt
That’s a great looking pipe! What site? Is that a new colored meer or an estate?
Altinay Pipes, they have fabulous pipes and an "outlet" tab for the pipes on sale (which this was).
Its new this is called a "calcinated" finish. I read they use a torch and beeswax to give it that effect.

I would not have expected myself to buy one with this finish, but I was in love with the shape and now I'm very glad I did. I really enjoy all the colors and hues that are going on on this pipe, and I'm not sad that it won't be solely colored in by my smoking alone. Its just cool as hell looking.

I also usually want a filter, especially on a nose warmer, but I don't think thats going to be an issue here.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Why? Rocks, concrete, slate and such could cause a chip, maybe a crack. But, unless ornately carved, they are not much all that fragile.

Your pipe is artificially colored. No surprise I hope. If it is block meerschaum it will color naturally as you smoke it. Some manufacturers are precoloring to expand the market and attract buyers who are not particularly interested in spending the required time and effort to color a pipe naturally. Absolutely nothign wrong with that of course. I simpl7y preferred my meers to all be naturally colored from the inside out. It's purely a preference.

coyja

Can't Leave
Feb 10, 2018
Spinning ball of dirt
OK, so what's in the bag? How old?
It's 2.25 lbs of McClelland M27, Three Cherries. A very subtle and smooth light aromatic.
No idea how old it really is (maybe that control code of 366 could date it?) , but at least 3 years, and its still at perfect humidity. So, 2lbs jarred up, and some to smoke for awhile. Goes along very nicely with this meer.

Pipenwheels

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2020
Ohio
It's 2.25 lbs of McClelland M27, Three Cherries. A very subtle and smooth light aromatic.
No idea how old it really is (maybe that control code of 366 could date it?) , but at least 3 years, and its still at perfect humidity. So, 2lbs jarred up, and some to smoke for awhile. Goes along very nicely with this meer.
Smoking some right now from the sample you provided. It is growing on me, must subtle cherry aromatic I've ever smoked. Great smoke! Enjoy and good hunting! Also the Meerschaum is good looking. I wonder how it will change if at all as you smoke it. Keep us posted!

Reactions: coyja
Status
Not open for further replies.