PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Just saw this from Cigar International...
Dear Ohio Customer:

While we continually strive to keep the price of premium cigar products as low as possible, legislators sometimes take action that runs counter to the interests of constituents like you. This is one of those times. Effective October 16, 2019, the State of Ohio will be imposing an Excise Tax on all tobacco products delivered to Ohio customers. See Ohio 5743.62. Please note that this excise tax is in addition to the Ohio use tax already imposed on tobacco products delivered to Ohio customers.

The Ohio Excise Tax rate will differ depending on the type of tobacco product sold:

• Most Premium cigars (and all pipe tobacco) will be taxed at 17% of the wholesale price, which would equate to an average retail price increase of 8-11% with a maximum of fifty two cents ($.52) per premium cigar.
  • Most little cigars with a filter or tip will be taxed at 37% of the wholesale price, which would equate to an average retail price increase of 25-30%
Shit!...

cwpiperman

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2018
Really. Consider that in MI it is 37% on everything that one buys in a MI B&M, and it is completely illegal to purchase any form of tobacco out of state or online.......

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
To see how the new Ohio Excise Tax translates to an actual purchase, I put together a sample order and began the checkout process on Smokingpipes. It appears that the additional tax adds about $0.41/oz for tinned tobacco; likely a bit less for bulk tobacco. That works out to be about 6.5% of the regular (non-sale) tin price, or about the same amount as the local sales tax. Not horrible overall, but getting double taxed is never fun.

Reactions: lightmybriar

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
Why the hell are they taxing the small filtered cigars so much??
Per the Ohio Department of Taxation FAQ:
Why is the tax rate for little cigars being increased?
  • Little cigars are a filtered product, as are most cigarettes. They will now be taxed at a rate similar to that on cigarettes, leveling the playing field.
  • The federal tax also has a higher rate for little cigars than for other tobacco products.
Does my product meet the definition of a “little cigar” for purposes of Ohio’s other tobacco products tax if my product is small like a cigarillo and has a filter, but is covered completely by a natural leaf tobacco wrapper?
A “little cigar” is “any roll for smoking, other than cigarettes, made wholly or in part of tobacco that uses an integrated cellulose acetate filter or other filter and is wrapped in any substance containing tobacco, other than natural leaf tobacco.” The product described above would not meet the definition, because it is wrapped in a natural leaf tobacco.

• Wow
Reactions: Patrick_Green

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
To see how the new Ohio Excise Tax translates to an actual purchase, I put together a sample order and began the checkout process on Smokingpipes. It appears that the additional tax adds about $0.41/oz for tinned tobacco; likely a bit less for bulk tobacco. That works out to be about 6.5% of the regular (non-sale) tin price, or about the same amount as the local sales tax. Not horrible overall, but getting double taxed is never fun.
Scratch this. The excise tax on a recent tobacco order was actually 10% of non-sale tin price, or 11.5% of sale price.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
That excise tax rate is really low compared to other states. All states have excise taxes on tobacco. One reason that tins cost more at a B&M is that they pay their state's excise tax for tobacco and pass that on to you. Most people aren't even aware that their states have an excise tax on tobacco.

An unnecessary, yet appreciated further confirmation of my decision to move from Ohio to the tobacco heartland of North Carolina puffy

North Carolina's excise tax is 12.8% of the wholesale price, a little lower than Ohio.

• Haha
Reactions: woodsroad

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I'ts not bad/could be worse/ etc/etc. IT'S NOT WARRANTED! I pay taxes on taxes for services that have nothing to do with me.It is what we affectionately refer to as bullshit! The money the states just got from the makers of opioids (billions) will subsequently be pissed away and not help one poor bastard that has the problem and some FAT CAT (both party's ) will line their pockets with millions. Now, that I have vented, Have a nice day!...puffy

stogie37

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 24, 2012
Southport, North Carolina
That excise tax rate is really low compared to other states. All states have excise taxes on tobacco. One reason that tins cost more at a B&M is that they pay their state's excise tax for tobacco and pass that on to you. Most people aren't even aware that their states have an excise tax on tobacco.

North Carolina's excise tax is 12.8% of the wholesale price, a little lower than Ohio.
I guess our definition of “little” differs; Ohio is now taxing pipe tobacco at a rate 33% higher than North Carolina (12.8 vs 17) however, let’s be honest; the real reason I’m thankful to be living on the Southeast Coast of NC is that I’m in my shorts and a T on my porch enjoying my first pipe of the day this morning, while my dad is enjoying his 37* NE Ohio morning tucked warmly inside ?

datascalabash

Lurker
Aug 6, 2009
When I spotted this post's passage that read like this:

"it is completely illegal to purchase any form of tobacco out of state or online".......

...it IS important to note that a dozen distinct. Federally-recognized Indigenous American tribal groups exist in Michigan, and four more state-recognized tribes as well...should Michigan ever decide to place them under the same greed-induced "tax rules" (unless the legislators in Madison were ALREADY that ignorant of Indigenous rights regarding tobacco, especially for any indigenous American society there that might consider it sacred) they could be a knock on a state building's door in Madison from perhaps, say, the Native American Rights Fund...

...and by "the eighth day of the eighth month" in the summer of 2021, perhaps even by the SPLC ?

Don't forget...there MAY be a plan to have a "World No Tobacco Day" elsewhere on Earth, but NO ONE of Indigenous American ethnicity, from a society that holds tobacco sacred, is EVER going to allow THAT to happen here!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A revenue stream too delicious to resist. A small voter base, and yet a continual flow of funds.

Reactions: dmcmtk
Status
Not open for further replies.