PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Anchorage was hit with a massive earthquake this morning.
I have received word that my brother and his family there are safe but praying that everyone else is okay as well.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I have a sister that lives up there. Been trying to contact my mom all morning to see if she's heard anything, but nothing yet. If they weren't, I'd have heard that news by now, but always feel a little uneasy until I know for sure.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Got this pic from my brother from him trying to get home:
8906-337x600.jpg

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I've seen several other similar pictures online now and they mostly appear to be on/off ramps for a highway which I'm guessing is Seward Highway. Could be the other portion of highway that drops down off of Seward. It's been a few years since I've been there so I couldn't say for sure.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
From what my mom says, yes for now. She got the kids and they were heading up the mountain to get clear if a tsunami hits. They live close to a small cove somewhere I think, so they wanted to get clear of that at least. I won't know more until later this evening I'm sure, but my sister did say that small fires had broken out all over town.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
The tsunami warning has been cancelled so they should be okay regarding that.
My brother said he could transformers exploding around him right after it happened so they might not have power for a while. Hopefully they have a wood burning stove or fireplace and plenty of fuel if necessary. Food and water too.
Apparently there was an initial earthquake of 7.0 magnitude followed by another of 5.8. They'll likely have aftershocks for sometime to come.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Power was just restored. Surprisingly quickly and I'm pasing out kudos to the Chugach Electric crews.
There's been some rock slides and, serious road and bridge damage. No injuries reported. I went through the "big one" years ago on the ski slopes. I was at my desk this morning and I think the epicenter was just under my butt. It wasn't long enough to do real damage but, it was damned close and followed closely by an "aftershock" which was right up there on the scale also. We are getting aftershocks fairly regularly right now, a couple an hour, enough to keep the heart rate up. I'm getting tired of going in and out of the house. Gus, my lab, is very antsy.
So goes the day!
Thanks for the concern! You're a great bunch!

loadclear

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2017
My wall mounted piperack and pipes survived!!!
The cupboard of tobacco tins was expectedly booby trapped when the door was opened. No casualties to the tins though.
The jars were under my counter in the kitchen island, and were packed tightly enough not to fall.
Whew.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I will add that a meer and some "3 Star Blue" left the house with me after the second temblor.
Good move there! Glad all are safe and, Warren, Glad you can at least have smoke thru it all...

Status
Not open for further replies.